Does anyone soak their Bowls or other turned items?
I remember maybe 5+ years ago a few of our members had large vats of PEG to put their turned items in to soak for a while.

First I do not remember what PEG is or how long a shelf life it has or what the benefits are to doing it?
Can anyone address this for me and maybe others.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
PEG and liquid dish soap are used as soaks to dry wet wood. The chemicals are supposed to replace the water in the wood.
Ed Moulthrop used it to soak his large turning in the stuff, his son and grandson may still use it don't know. PEG does work but learning curve little tough. Expensive, and takes time, short shelf live once opened. Finishing option pretty much down to only poly!

Lot of woodturners bad mouth PEG, think if understand how and when to use it might be okay if you turnings are flying off the shelf or making big bucks for your turned creations.

Old reference but almost every thing need to know.

http://owic.oregonstate.edu/sites/defaul...bs/peg.pdf

Might be little easier to understand. http://go.rockler.com/tech/300780-57018-PEG.pdf

I don't or wouldn't use the stuff due to cost of product and equipment needed to make it work.
Bill
(08-22-2018, 09:40 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I remember maybe 5+ years ago a few of our members had large vats of PEG to put their turned items in to soak for a while.

First I do not remember what PEG is or how long a shelf life it has or what the benefits are to doing it?
Can anyone address this for me and maybe others.

Had my fling with it many years ago.  It was fashionable more than 15 years back, it seems.  Works fine at 50/50 and >80 temp on thin work, but finishing, as mentioned, is virtually impossible.  Since alcohols (Glycol) are hygroscopic, if you leave turnings unfinished, they will always feel clammy.  

I use it for turned mallets only, now.  Lasts forever in a covered bucket, if you don't mind the color and odor it picks up from the wood.  Makes for a heavier, dead-blow mallet that you can turn heart centered. Sold and gave away many.  Use them all the time. 

Dish detergent was another fad which was really a dilute version of PEG.  Remember the humectant that kept Madge's hands soft in the old commercials - Glycerol?  Idea was not to use a full-penetration soak, but to take advantage of the slow evaporation and hygroscopic qualities to keep the first check from starting on turned bowls.  Since it was PEG lite, you could get pretty much the same advantage with a couple of brushed coats of 50/50, avoiding the long penetrating soaks.  

My experience with both was brief.  There was no great advantage to either for the kinds of turnings I do, and a disadvantage in having to deal with soaking, finishing and fussing.  Now I put the wet ones on the cement for a week or so, then up on the shelf where they can cure naturally.  Having many in progress keeps me turning, but does eat up shelf space.  Nothing at 3/4 to 1" rough takes more than a couple months to cure, and finishes are then my choice.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Think depending on size & uniform thickness rough turning and setting bowls & hollow forms aside to air dry lot easier than other medthods others have used.

So soaking in soap, peg or Pentacryl, Cedarside, boiling, micro waving expensive in time and equipment or just plain busy work.  Yes some of those products & methods work but might be more economical to make a homemade kiln for drying roughed out blanks.

Pentacryl  directions say this stuff can be either brushed on or better yet soaked in the stuff.

https://www.preservation-solutions.com/c...1_4_12.pdf

Once had a product Cedarside for wood turners but see they don't sell that product anymore.  Again supposed to either brush on or soak your roughed out blanks.

http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/f...rs-choice/
Bill
Thanks Guys.

Would soaking cutting boards in Mineral oil or Walnut oil help it or other turned items?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
10-15 years ago seems the turners were soaking bowls in some kind of alcohol. No it wasn't peg, it was something else.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-23-2018, 01:25 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: 10-15 years ago seems the turners were soaking bowls in some kind of alcohol. No it wasn't peg, it was something else.

I think it was Denatured Alcohol. Never tried it but I remember people discussing it.
(08-23-2018, 01:39 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I think it was Denatured Alcohol. Never tried it but I remember people discussing it.

That's it. Thanks
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Both mineral & walnut oil will provide you a food safe finish but will need reapplication after use!

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2006/08/...e-finishes
Bill