Filling the gap for Range Hood Exhaust
So I’m installing the exhaust vent for my new range hood and I have a gap between the 6 inch duct and the masonry wall (block wall inside, brick face outside).

Given the potential heat from cooking going through that vent, what would you use to fill that gap?

Thanks, Ray
Ray
6" stove pipe I would imagine.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Hmm... I mean the gap between the exhaust pipe and the masonry wall
Where the pipe/duct passes through the wall
Ray
Gotcha. Sorry.

Maybe some woodstove rope seal. Dunno really. Not a lot of heat there.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

How big is the gap? Silicone? Mortar?

(08-24-2018, 04:46 PM)goaliedad Wrote: How big is the gap?  Silicone?  Mortar?

I used some stove rope gasket as a backer and then mortar to seal around the stove pipe from my woodstove, but that is a lot more heat than a range hood.  Silicone should do just fine if the gap isn't too large.
Depending on the gap size maybe stuff rock wool as a backer and use fire caulking to top it off.  I've used various red colors of fire caulking so maybe you can find some to match your brick color.  Also, depending on the size of the gap maybe use some double wall pipe (aka "B" vent) then just caulk it to match the brick color.  The air gap between the double wall pipe is an insulator for heat.
Not terribly big. The duct is actually very snug but the hole is not a perfect fitting circle.
I was originally thinking of caulking and/or great stuff spray foam but then was thinking about the heat from the stove and I don’t know how hot cooking temps might make the duct
I’ll have to do silicone caulking along the outer edges for weather proofing but by the inner wall I was thinking that maybe I should do something else more heat resistant
Ray
Well to do the air gap I will have to make the hole larger than the six inches diameter that it is and while I will do that if absolutely necessary I’d rather avoid it if not necessary
It’s a block wall and brick outside so it’s not like I have to insulate it from a wood frame
I’m just thinking about filling the small gaps with something that’s appropriately heat resistant
Ray
a range hood,correct? one that is generally 26-36" above an oven? if this is the case there shouldnt be any major high temperature heat going through the vent.

polyurethane caulk