New find Old Saw 4' maybe a bit more
(08-27-2018, 06:40 PM)wmickley Wrote: Sounds like fantasy woodworking to me. You need a pretty stiff wind to get sawdust in your face because the cut is not even close to directly above your head. If wind is a problem, you can saw the other direction. There is no problem getting quality material if you have a good log, good saw and a smooth partner. If you get a partner who is not used to doing manual work, he can wear you out in a hurry.

It's obvious that the abundant horror stories abouit pitsawing comes from people who have tried in modern times with pitsaws that weren't properly sharpened and set. I have seen a few of those "demonstrations of an old craft" where they hardly get anything sawn at all despite working like hell with the sweat pouring.
I suspected that if it had been that hard then pit sawn timber would not be as abundant as it is in reality so I sharpened and set one of my old pitsaws the best I could and made a new bottom handle for it and we gave it a test. The job wasn't any harder than rowing a boat and the progress down the middle of a 30 cm (12") log was one centimetre (3/8") per stroke. Not that bad.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
I watched a couple of the videos.  I enjoyed seeing the skill presented. Thanks for sharing. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.