What is this?
I bought what I thought was a Swan 1/8" socket firmer chisel online. When it arrived I discovered it has a channel or a groove the length of the back that turns the cutting edge into a shallow gouge shape. I can't flatten the back without grinding the channel away - no small task. I've never seen this. I have other 1/8" chisels, but none with this feature. Anybody know what kind of chisel this is?

[Image: 43378149095_cac63e3197_z.jpg]IMG_1921 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

[Image: 44284423231_477e38c696_z.jpg]IMG_1927 by Hank Knight, on Flickr
(08-26-2018, 11:01 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: I bought what I thought was a Swan 1/8" socket firmer chisel online. When it arrived I discovered it has a channel or a groove the length of the back that turns the cutting edge into a shallow gouge shape.

Hank,

I'd say that's pretty cool, I've never seen that either. I think that could come in handy, but is it difficult to sharpen? there's a competing edge where the top is flat but the bottom is curved...maybe you can just sharpen like a chisel and use a slip stone on the gouge portion?

Interesting tool.

Alan
Maybe for Cope & Stick work?
Confused
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
My wild guess is some sort of specialized pattern maker's tool; other than that, I've never seen one like that either. It has the side profile of a sash mortise chisel, maybe a special order or user modified for something like making fly rods??
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Lockset mortising chisel.

Edited:
I'm retracting my original guess and revising it to a spindle turning gouge. I can't find a handle like that in any Swan catalog I could find online.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-27-2018, 08:51 AM)AHill Wrote: Lockset mortising chisel.

Edited:
I'm retracting my original guess and revising it to a spindle turning gouge.  I can't find a handle like that in any Swan catalog I could find online.

Then why is the handle fitted with leathers to take a beating without mushrooming?
Not to mention turning wants a tang, not a socket.

Cuts the sides of the mortise as it works the end.  My guess.

Revise my edit. The back points dig and stabilize an otherwise prone to rotate narrow chisel.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Its just an out cannel gouge. Being that it is socketed, primarily used by a carpenter or millwright. I have a full set of Greenlee's, but Swan, Witherby, Buck, etc. all made them back in the day.
(08-27-2018, 09:17 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Then why is the handle fitted with leathers to take a beating without mushrooming?
Not to mention turning wants a tang, not a socket.

Cuts the sides of the mortise as it works the end.  My guess.

Revise my edit.  The back points dig and stabilize an otherwise prone to rotate narrow chisel.

Good points.   I saw a similar Buck Bro's tool characterized as a coping gouge.  I don't think it's a mortise chisel, though, since the curved tip would not be best for leveraging out waste.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have one of those in a Witherby and couldn't find anything to tell me what it was.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I also think it is a nice little outcannel gouge.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English