What is this?
(08-27-2018, 09:24 AM)jlanciani Wrote: Its just an out cannel gouge. Being that it is socketed, primarily used by a carpenter or millwright. I have a full set of Greenlee's, but Swan, Witherby, Buck, etc. all made them back in the day.

This ^^^^^
(08-27-2018, 09:24 AM)jlanciani Wrote: Its just an out cannel gouge. Being that it is socketed, primarily used by a carpenter or millwright. I have a full set of Greenlee's, but Swan, Witherby, Buck, etc. all made them back in the day.

Yes...I have one also..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for the replies.

The out cannel gouge guys have it. I looked it up in the 1911 James Swan Company catalogue. They list firmer gouges in various sizes beginning with 1/8" as the smallest. The text also says the chisels are furnished as out cannel, but can also be furnished as in cannel on special order. They also come with a leather-washered hickory handle, like mine. I can't imagine what one would use a 1/8" out cannel firmer gouge for, but I have one. If I find a use for it, I'll let you know.
(08-28-2018, 09:01 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Thanks for the replies.

The out cannel gouge guys have it. I looked it up in the 1911 James Swan Company catalogue. They list firmer gouges in various sizes beginning with 1/8" as the smallest. The text also says the chisels are furnished as out cannel, but can also be furnished as in cannel on special order. They also come with a leather-washered hickory handle, like mine. I can't imagine what one would use a 1/8" out cannel firmer gouge for, but I have one. If I find a use for it, I'll let you know.

I have seen dentil mouldings which were made with a gouge. For most dentil mouldings, we cut slots with a small saw and then pare off the top inside surface with a chisel. Some of the mouldings had a rounded gouge cut at the top. It makes the inside corners a little sharper and gives a very stylish look. Your gouge would be just right for this type of work.
(08-28-2018, 10:48 AM)wmickley Wrote: I have seen dentil mouldings which were made with a gouge. For most dentil mouldings, we cut slots with a small saw and then pare off the top inside surface with a chisel. Some of the mouldings had a rounded gouge cut at the top. It makes the inside corners a little sharper and gives a very stylish look. Your gouge would be just right for this type of work.

Thanks, Warren. That would never have occurred to me. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Hank