CNC, Talk me out of it or not
I have no beef w/ the X-Carve units, I think they offer a terrific value.

There have been some pretty good upgrades posted for increasing rigidity if you're working on harder materials (some plastics and aluminums, etc.).

I've been tempted to purchase a larger X-Carve on occasion, though.
Lead screws or racks are easier to maintain than belts. Are you using this just for hobby or are you going to try to make money with it? I’ve had mine for five years now and it has paid for itself many times over. It’s used equally for “artsy” things and grunt work things. It saves me a lot of time in the shop and time is definitely money.
I don’t think you said what type controller your choices use. I use Mach3 which is pretty widely used. Vectric is what I use to produce the code.
VH07V  
CNC is super fun when you get into it. You will learn to operate your machine within its range of capability. I always ask folks what they want to work on with their machine when helping people find a machine. Work envelope needs to consider range of motion and area required for mechanics  but as long as you cover that you should be happy. Almost any of these machines will carve wood and plastic. The speed and capability and accuracy of doing each may or may not be important at this price point. Also the ease of doing it comes into factor at certain price points. $1000 is a minimal investment of any CNC router as you will soon find out if you get into the hobby. The options out there are amazing.

As far as ease of use software wise, I am not sure it could be easier (balanced with its options) than using vectric vcarve pro. If  it is easier I am betting you sacrifice options. Again though that software has its own costs.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Pulled the trigger on the Shapeoko XL tonight. I want to thank everyone for their input. One big factor is my local Woodcraft never took time to contact my about the inquiry of buying a machine from them. I wonder how they stay in business
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
William on sawmillcreek is a shapeoko expert too. Post up if you have any questions.

You will love vcarve pro btw if you did get that.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(08-28-2018, 08:12 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: William on sawmillcreek is a shapeoko expert too. Post up if you have any questions.

Consider getting a free copy of Fusion 360 from Autodesk.  It is free to anyone using it to earn less than $100k/year.
(08-28-2018, 08:12 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: William on sawmillcreek is a shapeoko expert too. Post up if you have any questions.

I deferred the Vcarve desktop purchase until I have the machine set up and running using the software that comes with it. I already have the free Fusion360 as well to try to so don't feel the need to hurry spending. The only extras I bought initially were the dust boot, a Whiteside set and a cheap few 1/8" EM

I do have the training version of Vcarve and am going through it now. It is nice.
When I saw the title to this post, I thought it was a philosophical one.  Should I buy a CNC, or just stick to traditional methods of furniture making.  My answer which you are not going to like is...why not just go to the furniture store and buy what you want already made?  Then you can sell your machines and hand tools in the wanted ads.  Sorry...
Eric
I have two Garageworx CNCs. One is 18X24 and one is 48X48. You can check out the Garageworx Forum for other details. HTe owner of Garageworks also has plans for his Gatton CNC that can be made to the size you want. 

http://www.garageworxcnc.com/community-forum.html?p=%3F

I also use VCarve Pro and like it as well.
Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
(08-30-2018, 06:16 AM)gad5264 Wrote: I also use VCarve Pro and like it as well.

Yeah I think I buy it shortly once I verify the machine works acceptably. It shipped today.