Sanding between coats of Enduro Var
I am about to spray GF Enduro Var on a cherry chest. I have already put the recommended two coats of Charles Neil's blotch control on it. For those who are familiar with Enduro Var, should I sand between coats, and if so, what grit sanding pad?
Sanding between coats can be for 2 reasons: one is to scuff up the surface for a better bond, This is typically really only needed for urethane oil based finishes, the large amount of urethane resins inhibit adhesion. That isn't (IME) required for Endurovar, it seems to have very good adhesion. The second would be to smooth out imperfections, like dust nibs or such. I usually use the finest grit that will remove them, often 600 or finer, and i like to wet sand with them. You do want it to be fairly dry before you do this, so i don't do it between coats, but just before the last coat. I would be a little cautious about applying it over the blotch control (not knowing what that is), make sure it has dried fairly well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Regardless of what finish I use I almost always sand between coats to get a uniform surface that removes surface inconsistencies or mistakes.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I use a scotch pad between coats. Like someone said, a very fine one. Just whisk it over the finish, don't rub. Then blow your project off good with an air gun before applying the next coat. Its all about getting rid of the dust nibs and any runs you may have gotten.