Sometimes you just have to take an ax to the project
(08-31-2018, 08:30 AM)WoodTinker Wrote: Barry,

Can we see a picture or two of your Sargent box? I have many pictures of a Stanley box.

Have on my list to build a box for my 55. Would be using a small stash of chestnut I got from a guy from Pleasant Valley, Md (PVWOODCRAFTS). Would be using my I-Box for the first time for this.

Agree! I have an original Stanley box, but it didn't occur to me that Sargentbwould have made one any different!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Not all Stanley 45 boxes were the same, either...

Built to match ( without the breakage from USPS) a Type 20

I think I came fairly close
Confused  

Original is on the top 

Cutters were stored in here....two rows. 

Replacement box is out of Poplar
Winkgrin 

But the labels printed out a blue colour..
Upset 

At least you can tell which is the replacement
Rolleyes
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-31-2018, 07:22 AM)daddo Wrote: Your mind is somewhere else. Stop then continue at a later time.

Excellent advice.  Often when I make a mistake, and I'm not sure why, I'll shut it all down, go inside and have a cup of coffee, watch some tv, or read.  I might stop til the next day.  (I have that luxury, being retired.)  Trying to push,  I'd often find I would pile one mistake on top of another due to frustration.  
Raised
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(08-31-2018, 03:25 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Excellent advice.  Often when I make a mistake, and I'm not sure why, I'll shut it all down, go inside and have a cup of coffee, watch some tv, or read.  I might stop til the next day.  (I have that luxury, being retired.)  Trying to push,  I'd often find I would pile one mistake on top of another due to frustration.  
Raised

And that is exactly what I did! Trying to recover the work made it worse, but the swinging of the hatchet sure made me feel better!
www.metaltech-pm.com
It's been said in a previous time, an ax, a mule and 5 acres of land is all one needs to create a life...
Smile 

This shouldn't be confused with 40 acres and a mule which the Government granted to slaves after the civil war.

Alan
I think the Sargent box that I saw had the cutters in a cloth roll, though it was a long time ago, i can't remember.  Also, the layout I used was not exactly what I saw, but in general, instead of a pile of parts in a box, it was laid out in a logical order.  This is my take.

The dowels are slightly smaller diameter than the fence arm holes,, so the body, skate and fence can slip on and off, but snugly, so they don't move around when the box is closed.  There are small blocks of wood have cut outs that are slightly smaller than the diameter of the fence rods, so the rods, and the stops, are a friction fit.   I never use the slitter knife,  so that is screwed into the rear, behind a stop, and there are vertical dados in the top for the irons.  The deeper dados going horizontally on the face where the irons are stored help get the irons out.  I am actually stunned that the elastic and thumbtacks have worked so well.  I made the box about 15 years ago, and it is still holding up.   

I did a search tonight and found this http://tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/sargent/1080pict.htm and https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/s...1887540319   not sure if they are the original boxes.  

I made a similar box for my 46, though I don't use that as often, and for my 55, I just use a regular rectangular box.

Attached Files Image(s)

This is what came home.....all I was told was that this is mine, IF I can rehab the plane, AND rebuild/replace the box....

Box is the original Roxton Pond, Que, Canada Stanley.    Lid was cracked, USPS used it like a football?  One end was patched up on the lid.    Stillhave the box, BTW...holds all my Dremel stuff. 
Rolleyes  We had a get together down in Vicksburg, MISS.   With a swap meet table.   And...LOTS of food!
Cool   

One of the fellows passed out a few signs he had made...
Winkgrin 

So, once the new box was done ( exact match, inside and out) and parts were cleaned up, they got packed up..

Irons,  as well, were cleaned up, sharpened as needed, and stowed away.   Lid even has the same "gap" at one end, as the OEM one. 

Cost?    Project boards from Blue BORG, hinges, and the latch....same finger joints.   Maybe this new box will last a little longer than the old one...from the 1920s  ( marked on the skate..SW   Made in CAN.)

Attached Files Image(s)

Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
The Sargent I have, has the cutters in a cloth roll (original).
www.metaltech-pm.com
Yeah,
    I was apparently too smug when I first read this thread.... Hadn't screwed up that bad for a while.

This week I took a bath on a German horn plane I was restoring:
- Bought it cheaply on auction, found on arrival that I should have looked at the pictures better; laminate hornbeam sole was gone.
- Added a bubinga sole.
- Deemed the mouth too open, added a persimmon filler piece in the sole / mouth area.
- Reground the laminated (hard steel / soft steel) blade, noticed a curious little crack in the hard steel near one corner.
- Sharpened, honed, stropped.
- Plane blade started digging / scraping into the workpieces on one side.
- Noticed the hard steel was pulling off the soft steel on one corner!
- Removed one cracked steel corner, effectively making a 1-1/2" blade into a 1-1/4" blade.
- Was getting a lot of shavings blockage in the plane, decided to open up the throat a bit with a wide chisel.
- Impacts knocked loose the custom persimmon insert.
- After opening the throat, saw the shavings were still jamming, on the Ulmia wedge pivot piece rather than the front of the throat.
- A few more expletives, and the front part of the bubinga sole came loose as well.
- The whole plane went in my trash bin.   Any potentially reusable parts, such as the front horn, were hard-epoxied into the plane, thanks to me...

Chris
Chris
(10-19-2018, 12:05 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: - Bought it cheaply on auction, found on arrival that I should have looked at the pictures better;

The reason why I quit the auction sites long ago, burned too many times.  I only buy tools that I can fondle.....  sorry for your loss....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis