STANLEY NO.35
I see that Jim Bode has a STANLEY No. 35 Transitional Smooth Plane MINT in Original Box circa 1910 UNUSED! - asking $695

I thought I had one, so I went out in the garage and found that I have a Stanley 35 not mint, but in good condition that I bought a couple of years ago for less than $50 (I don't remember exactly how much, but it wasn't $695).

Nevertheless I was shocked at the asking price!
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

That is Jim Bode and the collector mindset.  Unfortunately, neither relates to your plane.  Transitional planes are among the least revered of user tools.  There is no explaining the collector value of anything.  Jim Bode may find a buyer for his item.  I sometimes wonder if buys and sells the same items yet again as collections are liquidated, as they inevitably will be.
Gold Mine?
Winkgrin 

Maybe?
Rolleyes  

Who knew?
Confused  

I think Arlin has one of these, now....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I've got a fair number of transitionals, though nothing "mint" in the box (though that definition can be debatable!).

Maybe a decade ago, I bought a 7/16" Preston shoulder plane (my measurement) from Jim, because I wanted it. Condition was well above good and I paid top dollar. The plane is uncommon, and I had a spot for it in my accummulation of Preston tools. Funny thing is, though it is most definitely a collector's item, it is one of my most used shoulder planes, right next to my large LN (the Preston's design is the fore runner of the Record and LN design).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-02-2018, 09:17 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Gold Mine?
Winkgrin 

Maybe?
Rolleyes  

Who knew?
Confused  

I think Arlin has one of these, now....

???

If you sent one I did not get it yet.  Yah I love the liberty bell and older wooden planes a ton.
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-05-2018, 01:16 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: ???

If you sent one I did not get it yet.  Yah I love the liberty bell and older wooden planes a ton.
Yes
Yes

It was shipped with that Liberty Bell 122....needed to fill out the box.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-01-2018, 09:33 AM)GeorgeV Wrote: I see that Jim Bode has a STANLEY No. 35 Transitional Smooth Plane MINT in Original Box circa 1910 UNUSED! - asking $695

I thought I had one, so I went out in the garage and found that I have a Stanley 35 not mint, but in good condition that I bought a couple of years ago for less than $50 (I don't remember exactly how much, but it wasn't $695).

Nevertheless I was shocked at the asking price!

I have had several 35's...none impressed me very much...35/40 bucks is about the going rate if in good, usable condition..$696.00 is over the moon IMO,......regardless of the condition. But he may actually get it...He has some nice tools for sure.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset