Kerfing chisel for dozuki?
I was watching a video on Youtube today - half blind dovetails by Frank Klausz .... look at the 7:50 mark
Smile

Frank who?
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Through my local club, I have access to the Frid Tage collection of books and videos. In Frid's Vol. 2 book (p. 72), he uses a scraper blade to get to the corner. In the Tage Frid woodworking profile video, he uses a bandsaw blade.

I have never been to any exhibition in which Frid's work is on display, so I can't comment about the actual quality of his finished pieces. From his videos (three of them), books and Fine Woodworking articles (he had been one of the three FW Contributing Editors since issue #1), I have not seen any traces of wood fillers used. We all know wood fillers show over time (and that is why I never use wood fillers or, even worse, glue and saw dust -- anyone who tells you to use glue and sawdust to fix a blunder raises a red flag -- yes, I have seen authors recommend that as a good fix. These days anyone can write a book or two!).

Frid did write about fixing blunders in one of his articles on hand-cut dovetails and M&T, using veneers.

Was Frid good in hand tools? He was seen using chisels, handplanes, card scrapers, etc. in his books as well as videos. At the same time, power tools like a tablesaw, router, lathe, etc. are also seen in his shop. I don't think he was much different from James Krenov who had big machines but also hand tools to do his work. 

No doubt when Paul Sellers built the piece for the White House, he used both. The same can be said of Sam Maloof whose rocker was President Reagan's favorite.

Simon
(09-05-2018, 12:14 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: I just use my DT saw backwards for this.  And I think saws were designed to allow this.  (handle has to be clear of the toothed edge +++ Note some modern saws are not built like this.)

Regarding something else you wrote but I didn't quote - I get your meaning and don't feel strongly about right or wrong ways to work wood. But I think we failed to maintain our woodworking traditions.  And Americans in particular, have it in our DNA to try to re-invent and improve absolutely everything. Even things we don't fully understand. And that can lead to these peculiar situations.
Ian Kirby cuts single lap dovetails with a saw and chisel, from start to finish; Charles Hayward similarly but removing the bulk of the waste with a bit. Can't remember how Alan Peters did such joint.

Most modern woodworkers -- hobbyists or furniture/cabinet makers -- can't afford either in time or in cost to rely on traditions to do their work. That is why pocket hole joinery is invented and used widely by some in the first instance -- to get a job done as quickly as possible. It is fine for shop fixtures, but it would have to be over my dead body before I would build anything with such joinery method. I would rather get something from IKEA than show people that I pocket screw this and that!

Simon
What's a "pocket screw"
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-20-2018, 11:00 AM)bandit571 Wrote: What's a "pocket screw"

Short for "making a joint with the pocket hole screw joinery method."

Simon
(09-20-2018, 12:11 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: ...making a joint with the pocket hole screw joinery...

...is for non-woodworkers to slap wood together.
Smile
Wood is good. 
(09-20-2018, 08:37 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I was watching a video on Youtube today - half blind dovetails by Frank Klausz .... look at the 7:50 mark
Smile

Frank who?
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

Never mind the card scraper. His bowsaw turns 90 degrees with no radius. What sorcery is this?

On the other hand, marking perfect baselines freehand with a pencil? Pfffft. Big deal.

Big Grin
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(09-20-2018, 08:37 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I was watching a video on Youtube today - half blind dovetails by Frank Klausz .... look at the 7:50 mark
Smile

Frank who?
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for posting.
BontzSawWorks.net
Resurrecting this thread because it asked about whether Japanese woodworkers use kerfing chisels.  Here is a video showing them doing so, at 4:57.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LLy-Ybih9A

It's not the best of videos, being one of the "Amazing Techniques Traditional Japanese Woodworking" videos that are mashups of better videos that I often can no longer find on YouTube.

Happy kerf chiseling!
Aaron
(11-16-2018, 10:07 PM)AaronR Wrote: Resurrecting this thread because it asked about whether Japanese woodworkers use kerfing chisels.  Here is a video showing them doing so, at 4:57.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LLy-Ybih9A

It's not the best of videos, being one of the "Amazing Techniques Traditional Japanese Woodworking" videos that are mashups of better videos that I often can no longer find on YouTube.

Happy kerf chiseling!

Interesting, thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site