What's a Davenport Saw?
I came across this just across the lake on Saturday when my daughter came for a visit and said she seen a garage sale sign just down the road and we should maybe give it a try. Turns out he had a few nice tools including a beautiful old broad axe that I really liked, but then I thought I really needed that like a hole in the head. So I looked a bit farther and seen this old saw, and although I should have passed it up, the style and obvious age caught my attention, so I took it home with me. Anyway, I haven't done anything to it yet, I'm sure the dirt on it is many years worth of accumulation. And I see there's no medallions or such. Its even hard to tell if the bolts are original. The plate would need some straightening, but the teeth are all in good condition it appears. 
Does anyone know anything about Davenport saws? Is it worth messing with a restoration, or should I just use it for a decoration? Its 17-1/2" long plate, which might be handy as my longest tenon saw otherwise is 12". Otherwise I really don't know that I need it.

Attached Files Image(s)

An early English saw.  The name low along the spine, and the dot in "cast (dot) steel" usually indicate 1830s or earlier.  There were a bunch of Davenport sawmakers in the early 1800s, fathers sons (and cousins ?) often with the same name, so determining which one made your saw involves a bit of guessing, but one of the John Davenport's in Sheffield in the 1830s would be my first guess.
Don't let not needing something keep you from purchasing. I bet you didn't pay a king's ransom and look at all the amusement you and all of us are getting out of it. You can always sell it in the future. Self amusement is worth something.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Neat saw.
(09-03-2018, 07:43 PM)kwigly Wrote: An early English saw.  The name low along the spine, and the dot in  "cast (dot) steel" usually indicate 1830s or earlier.  There were a bunch of Davenport sawmakers in the early 1800s, fathers sons (and cousins ?) often with the same name, so determining which one made your saw involves a bit of guessing, but one of the John Davenport's in Sheffield in the 1830s would be my first guess.

Thank you Kwigly, I was thinking of a company, not a families name in England. I would have never gotten that figured out. Your knowledge is impressive!

Todd, no it didn't break the bank, just 2 bucks. So yes, it can hang on the wall as long as it likes.
(09-03-2018, 07:21 PM)jasfrank Wrote: I came across this just across the lake on Saturday when my daughter came for a visit and said she seen a garage sale sign just down the road and we should maybe give it a try. Turns out he had a few nice tools including a beautiful old broad axe that I really liked, but then I thought I really needed that like a hole in the head. So I looked a bit farther and seen this old saw, and although I should have passed it up, the style and obvious age caught my attention, so I took it home with me. Anyway, I haven't done anything to it yet, I'm sure the dirt on it is many years worth of accumulation. And I see there's no medallions or such. Its even hard to tell if the bolts are original. The plate would need some straightening, but the teeth are all in good condition it appears. 
Does anyone know anything about Davenport saws? Is it worth messing with a restoration, or should I just use it for a decoration? Its 17-1/2" long plate, which might be handy as my longest tenon saw otherwise is 12". Otherwise I really don't know that I need it.

IMO, a saw that old deserves a little respect...I wouldn't attempt to fully restore it to pristine condition because I don't think that is possible, but I would take some steel wool or scotch brite with some WD-40 to the steel and then work on cleaning up the wood..maybe treat it to some BLO or Tru-Oil...I have a couple of very old saws by Barber and Genn of Sheffield dating back to the late 1700's and they are a joy to use, and just knowing that they were formerly owned by my friend, the late Phil Baker makes them "special" to me. If they were good enough for Phil....they were good enough !!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Me I would love something like that and keep it just because of the nostalgia with the age and thinking of who used it.  I am a old softy with old tools and would hang it up for a talking piece. 
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Jack, I realize that old tools deserve respect too. I decided to spiff the saw up a bit, even if its just a wall hanger.

I hope I didn't do anything to lessen them for you Arlin. Please send me your address again, Xmas comes early for a great guy!
(09-05-2018, 08:04 PM)jasfrank Wrote: Jack, I realize that old tools deserve respect too. I decided to spiff the saw up a bit, even if its just a wall hanger.

I hope I didn't do anything to lessen them for you Arlin. Please send me your address again, Xmas comes early for a great guy!

Looks great now !!!!! If it could talk, what stories it could tell !!!!!!
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Great restoration! There aren't many saws like that left anymore. Glad you were able to snag this one and shine it up a little bit.

I think it's probably earned its retirement.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Wow, nice saw!

One of my favorite saws is a Davenport. I love the big cheeks.

Clean it up and put it to use!

EDIT: Oooh, I see you cleaned it up. Nice saw! I love these Davenports. I only have 1. Mine is a 14".

Brittle steel on those old saws, be careful with the set.

Alan