What's a Davenport Saw?
Yes Alan, I spent about an hr on it yesterday. Probably 30 minutes with a block and some 400 sandpaper and then about 20 minutes trying to get the old black, probably sweat and oil out of the handle. I washed it with murpys oil soap and it was pretty crazy looking with the big black splotches next to the clean. So I went at it with some MEK and a heat gun and it toned it down fairly well. Then 2 coats of tru oil as Jack suggested. That still needs rubbing out, but I will wait a couple days so its good and dry. 
I know what you mean about being brittle, there is a small crack extending up from the gullet about 1/16" or so and then there's a couple good waves in the plate. I tried clamping the front of the plate in my vise and rapping the spine to stretch it a bit, but it did'nt change anything. I didn't want to get too bully on it. I believe thats how Bill Wilson described how to do it a few years ago. It's worked for me in the past anyway. Unfortunately it didn't this time, so I think it would take a new plate to be a usable saw again. Anyway, I think it'll look good on Arlin's wall.