Veritas Pocket Plane
Maybe IF I stop doing my build threads...and just let the Sales People take over here...that way, you all won't have to "endure" my presence around here?

Think long and hard on that....maybe you can feel free to attack Paul Sellers?    Since he and i have been doing woodworking  for the same amount of years.

Derek Who
Smirk
Smirk
Smirk ?
Confused
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I try to make a point to read all of Derek's threads, I find them very informative.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
Years of woodworking does not guarantee a person has acquired top shelf skills. I would extend myself as an example, as I have been working wood since the mid-seventies. I like what I do as do the recipients (family and friends). But that doesn't mean my skill level would equal a Sellers, a Savage or a Cohen, if my years equal theirs.

In my opinion, Derek could easily be a professional woodworker, or a writer, if he so wanted. His projects are superb. His writing skills in presenting the projects are also. His tool reviews are thorough and display an analytical, non-subjective technique that I find very fair for many of us to use for deciding on tool purchases.

I come here for techniques that I am not aware of, and also for benchmarks for me to aspire to. Drama, I prefer to ignore.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I agree that we could do with less drama in some of these discussions. I've decided it's easier to skip commenting on the discussions that are not of interest than create controversy, and that makes for a more pleasant online experience for the rest of us.
(09-12-2018, 02:49 PM)bandit571 Wrote: ....maybe you can feel free to attack Paul Sellers?    

Well, Sellers has some good points, but I often differ with him on certain of his opinions.  To each his own.  But I'd prefer we not pick fights, just do your thing......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-12-2018, 05:04 PM)Admiral Wrote: Well, Sellers has some good points, but I often differ with him on certain of his opinions.  To each his own.  But I'd prefer we not pick fights, just do your thing......

No longer interested in Sellers' blog as he seems to have lost it, but his videos are still good to watch.

As for drama, a little bit of it now and then is good as it spices things up, as long as it is not vicious and nothing personal. Water is good but once in a while I like sugar water.

A boring place is where everybody agrees with everybody (like in some of the blogs where everyone takes the blog owners' views as God's words).

As they say, stay away from the kitchen if....

Simon

Confused  Uhhh... Paul who? 
Confused
Just throwing this out in general rather that addressing this to anyone in particular. Having differing points of view and discussing them respectfully, even if passionately, is different from the drams that we are seeing in this and similar threads. I'm seeing aggressive behavior that is borderline bullying and the response when called on it is well maybe I just won't post my build threads here anymore. That's not productive, nor is that the type of spice that encourages anyone to participate here.

I hope I am wrong, but I fully expect that no one will discuss the pocket plane further in this thread. It's just unfortunate and not good for the health of the forum discussions when people feel they can not discuss a new block plane or a new shooting board plane or a new whatever like what I have seen in the past few weeks without being mocked by others. Sad indeed.
Can't we all just learn to play together?
(09-12-2018, 07:17 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Can't we all just learn to play together?

This is how I see it. Bandit took a sarcastic shot at the discussion of the new plane, and Derek defended his position that he was not promoting anything, simply offering his experience with the plane. This kind of exchange is actually what we experience in the adult world, including in workplaces.

I suppose it is something way out of line, the moderators would step in.

Simon