A Project for the Boss
(10-11-2018, 01:57 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Most of what I do, and how I do it..falls somewhere between a Norm Abram and a Roy Underhill....

Free Time?   I am Retired....have to do something, in order to stay "busy".  

OK, waiting on the spot in the living room to be cleared out, a bit of floor repair...and maybe re-do an outlet to better handle the plug-ins.   I can go ahead and cut the plywood backs to size.   They were left off, to make the case easier to be hauled up the stairs of the shop.   Once the case is ready to go into the Living Room, I can add the plywood backs, and then slide the case to the wall.  

Problem with the drawer....opening for it was indeed square...triple checked as the face frame was installed.    Turned out, the drawer front blank had a slight taper.....instead of a nice rectangle.....I squared from the bottom edge of it, when cutting the ends.   Even used that same edge when laying out and cutting the dovetails.....what I missed was the top edge was just under 1/8" different  at one end, than the other.    Was running into a lot of that, with that rough-sawn, skip-planed Ash.   Tall end was just the right height, as I set the frame to that.....the right side was the skinny end. 

Door problem:   Opening for the door on the right side,  was square, as i built the face frame.   Half-lap joint was square.    Problem arose with the frame of the Frame & Raised Panel door....Got in a hurry,,,and squared ( I thought) the end that was crooked.....turn out it is was square, the square USED was not..and the top edge was cut at an angle....IF I had re-cut it to square it up..would have lost too much material....was better to just add the filler strip.  

Door did have "issues" during the glue-up....bottom rail of the door wasn't  squared up.    Stiles then tried to match up....one wound up being "lower" than the other....was able to hammer adjust while in the clamps.    A diagonal clamp ( like I use on box builds) would not fit....other clamps and cauls were in the way.

One thing to watch out for.....the stiles tended to bow a bit....even with the clamps.....and that can affect  how a square registers....

Used to be, on drawers, I would use an overlay style.   Ends and along the top edge had a rabbet, to cover the open....bottom never did.  Kind of hard to do through dovetails, though.  

Problems with tapered stock:   Even the sides for the door had a slight taper.....works IF they both taper the same direction, as you can put the "narrow end" at the back of the drawer.   BUT, if one taper is placed at the wrong end, throws things out of whack.  

I also tend to leave a gap all the way around a drawer...other than the bottom edge.    Ovoids "sticky" drawers....piston fit ones around here tend to "weld shut" when it gets real humid.  

As always, anyone is free to stop in, sometime, and help out.....I don't bite, really.    Shop is a bit crowded, but works for a single wood worker.    I can just about reach any tool, with a step or two.   Been known to send helpers home, after donating a tool or two to them.   Have a plane you are having trouble with?   Bring it along, and you take home a working plane.   The same one you brought.

So how does a person fix the square or is it just thrown away?

(10-11-2018, 03:33 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: It wasn't a coincidence that these people who built/build complex things had/have shop assistants: Sam Maloof, Tage Frid, David Savage, Michael Fortune, etc. Complex glue-ups are not a one-person job unless you want to risk a screw-up.

Simon

I have Sam Maloofs and Tage Frids DVDs, but the biggest thing is since I am disabled I have to ask for help.  I just have not gotten to the point of making anything big yet.

I surly need to make some cabinets above the bench for storage and want a drawer underneath the cabinet to help with turning storage.  I want the cabinets to be around 12" to 14" deep and the drawer 22" to 26" wide.  I will have to see if there is any drop kind of guides for the drawers so I can see what is inside easily.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Usually easier to just get another square, making sure it IS square....one I WAS using is a VERY OLD framing square....apparently it has been dropped a few times....it can be fixed, someday....or..simply retire it to a hook on the wall....

Things go much easier on the bigger jobs...IF..you break things down into a series of smaller steps, building up until one simple assemble step can put all the pieces together into a whole  unit.

That face frame?    Was assembled on the case, one piece at a time....working around the case.    I worked from the right edge across to the middle..clamping pieces into place as a dry fit....when each piece fit it's new home...glue and the counter-bored screws were added....other parts were dry fitted to keep things aligned while attaching other pieces....

Just one step at a time.....K.I.S.S.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(10-12-2018, 01:37 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: So how does a person fix the square or is it just thrown away?
Framing squares - https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/how...-a-square/

Combo square requires a different method: filing.

You can find some glue-up techniques here: https://www.finewoodworking.com/media/GlueUps.pdf
My go-to method which is not covered in the above article is to realign the clamps towards the long diagonal side to pull the case square. Make sure you try that during the dry-fitting so you know which direction to realign the clamps.
Simon
BTW...(back on track here) THIS is where the project will be going...
Rolleyes 

Will be taking the place of the bookcase.   Bookcase is two sections, have other spots for each of them...flooring needs patched up..
Rolleyes 

Been doing the cut & fit with an old friend...
Cool 

Dad bought this new at Sears, a LONG time ago....then I was using it in a 2-1/2 car garage shop, about the time The New Yankee Workshop was just starting out.   It has been in Dad's basement for a decade or two...un-used for almost that long.  Took a while this afternoon, to get things moving in the motor...then it ran great!

Garage sale today...

1 x 12 x 42" and a bundle of 6-1/2" wide boards...some were 3/4"..

And a couple that might make some drawer sides?   Seems to be White Oak...$20?

IF we can get the Fireplace Surround up out of the shop, tomorrow ( NEED HELP!) and placed where it is supposed to go...I'll post  a few photos.
Ok...moving day.   Surround is now in place..

Insert installed, and working..
Winkgrin 

Even the doors work nicely
Cool  

And the Boss is VERY Happy!
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Cool 

Thanks for following along...
[quote pid='7677735' dateline='1539550933']
Ok...moving day.    Boss is VERY Happy!
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Cool 

Thanks for following along...
[/quote]

Looks Great!!! Thanks for the attention, and sharing!
Looks great Bandit!
Thumbs Up 
Great job! I'll bet your lady is happy.
Bandit; Thank you for taking the time and effort to take us on this project's long trip.  I have learned a few things along the way and enjoyed every post.  I hope that others have taken note that you don't have to have 2400 sq. feet of workshop to build a nice project.  Ray
I like it a lot.  Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.