High ceiling fan blown
(09-11-2018, 09:28 AM)WoodTinker Wrote: The receiver in the fan could be the culprit.

Mine went out. New receiver was over half the cost of the fan.  Got a new one without remote.

This was what I found with my research ... I also have two fans on a 21' high ceiling.  This was something I didn't want to play with over time so I elected to go with an exterior grade fan with no remote from Hunter.  There were plenty of nice fans, but most of them had the remote control that renders the fan useless if it goes.
(09-11-2018, 09:44 AM)crokett™ Wrote:  A rental of a tall ladder would probably be cheaper than scaffolding, and easier to set up.  More wobbly though.  

Didn't know you could rent those, thanks!

(09-11-2018, 10:32 AM)FS7 Wrote: I had to do this not too long ago. My wife's family was remodeling a house for sale after the grandfather passed. One of the fans was a good 20 feet up as the room was designed to be a "great hall".

As the electrician in the family, it was my job to replace it. I'm not crazy about ladders, but I managed with my father-in-law's giant A-frame (he's a roofer). It's pretty high up there, but big A-frames have wide steps and are very stable.

From an actual fan perspective, I'd get rid of the remote. I have none in my home now and I don't miss them. My old house had remotes, and having to change the receiver frequencies because of military airfield interference was a huge pain. I'd always find out at 3 AM too when the light came on full brightness and the fan stopped.

(09-12-2018, 05:54 PM)cams2705 Wrote: This was what I found with my research ... I also have two fans on a 21' high ceiling.  This was something I didn't want to play with over time so I elected to go with an exterior grade fan with no remote from Hunter.  There were plenty of nice fans, but most of them had the remote control that renders the fan useless if it goes.

Without the remote and the fan so high up, how do you independently control the fan and the lights?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(09-13-2018, 07:14 PM)Aram Wrote: Without the remote and the fan so high up, how do you independently control the fan and the lights?

With something like this.  Run 14/3 up to the fan so the red controls one part, and black controls the other.

Attached Files Image(s)

(09-08-2018, 02:23 PM)Aram Wrote: Two wall switches. I checked both (with a cheap multimeter), got an odd reading on one, paid a pro a few bucks to double check with his Fluke. He claimed they were fine.

(09-17-2018, 03:34 PM)Cdshakes Wrote: With something like this.  Run 14/3 up to the fan so the red controls one part, and black controls the other.

I thought he already has two switched hots to the fan/light combo, based on this early response.  Maybe not, though.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"