Bandsaw....finally pulled the trigger

It's still in the back of my truck because I was waiting for my neighbor to get back into town to help me unload it and set it up.  I have a few projects in the works where I needed a bandsaw so it was time for me to pick one up.  Hopefully we can get it set up and dialed in today. 
Smile
(09-09-2018, 04:34 AM)Duane N Wrote: It's still in the back of my truck because I was waiting for my neighbor to get back into town to help me unload it and set it up.  I have a few projects in the works where I needed a bandsaw so it was time for me to pick one up.  Hopefully we can get it set up and dialed in today. 
Smile

I just got an e mail from Woodcraft about that saw, eager to hear your review, and CONGRATS.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-09-2018, 06:22 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I just got an e mail from Woodcraft about that saw, eager to hear your review, and CONGRATS.

I got it set up by myself today.  For now it's going to be mounted on a wood stand so I can move it out of the way when I'm not using it.  Trying to get it dialed in using the blade that came with the saw.  I need to get one for re-sawing but on pine it cuts like butter with the 5/8" blade.

(09-09-2018, 06:22 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I just got an e mail from Woodcraft about that saw, eager to hear your review, and CONGRATS.

I got the same email.

I hope it is everything you hoped for.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Wow, 13" of re-saw capacity.  That should be a great saw. Congrats.
That is a pretty nifty looking saw, hope it cuts as good as it looks!
You know what I need to remember most about the bandsaw?

I don't use it much, so it just slips my mind. For blade longevity, you're supposed to de-tension the blade when you're not using it. This either leads me to a) forgetting to de-tension the blade after I'm done or b) forgetting to tension the blade before cutting.
(09-10-2018, 09:28 AM)FS7 Wrote: a) forgetting to de-tension the blade after I'm done or b) forgetting to tension the blade before cutting.

Someone here years ago suggested cracking open the top door when you de-tension the blade, then when you go back to the saw days later the open door will remind you to re-tension. Far better to forget to de-tension than to forget to re-tension when you crank her up. Don't ask how I know this
Laugh
Laugh 

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(09-10-2018, 09:28 AM)FS7 Wrote: . For blade longevity, you're supposed to de-tension the blade when you're not using it. 

Complete myth.  The static forces add essentially zero to the work hardening of a blade.  

The impact on the longevity of the bearings is about 99.9% myth.

The biggest potential actual issue is causing a flat spot on poor quality tires when a BS sits for an extended time without being run.  

The primary reason for the propagation of this dis-information is it drives people to spend more on bandsaws with quick releases.  Take a look at all the very best bandsaws built today, none of them have a quick release.  I have carbide blades on some of my saws that have been under 28-30k psi tension for years and the only time the tension is released is when they are getting sharpened.
+1
Complete myth.