Dovetail Study
Got it. Thanks fr the tip!
(09-11-2018, 08:36 PM)Ron Brese Wrote: Old English is the brand. It's a furniture polish that contains a dark colorant. It will darken distressing on older pieces but in this case it helps clean up your piece after rubbing out. If any bits of white residue from rubbing out gets caught in the crooks and crannies it will color it so it so it's not noticeable.

Ron

This.... mine sits right there with the other finishes.
Skip

(09-11-2018, 08:36 PM)Ron Brese Wrote: Old English is the brand. It's a furniture polish that contains a dark colorant. It will darken distressing on older pieces but in this case it helps clean up your piece after rubbing out. If any bits of white residue from rubbing out gets caught in the crooks and crannies it will color it so it so it's not noticeable.

Ron

A name from the PAST! I don't remember the whole rant, but someone called Old English the final resting place of used motor oil. In antique (junk) stores we haunted as newlyweds, it was slathered on old finish, pools of it reflecting light. We had a jar for a while. They may have changed the formula.
(09-12-2018, 11:28 AM)hbmcc Wrote: A name from the PAST! I don't remember the whole rant, but someone called Old English the final resting place of used motor oil. In antique (junk) stores we haunted as newlyweds, it was slathered on old finish, pools of it reflecting light. We had a jar for a while. They may have changed the formula.

Yep, all those places smell like this stuff. I think it's similar to a lemon oil polish with some coloring agents added.

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
(09-12-2018, 11:28 AM)hbmcc Wrote: A name from the PAST! I don't remember the whole rant, but someone called Old English the final resting place of used motor oil. In antique (junk) stores we haunted as newlyweds, it was slathered on old finish, pools of it reflecting light. We had a jar for a while. They may have changed the formula.
Hi Bruce;

I have serious doubts that they have changed the formula.... now about the motor oil... that could be true.
Skip

I think the dovetails look good. The pins are in a range where they are not so skinny as to look anemic, nor so fat as to look clumsy. The angles are in a nice range also. Often these esthetic considerations outweigh joint precision in overall appearance. There was a discussion about leaving the gauge line visible a few weeks ago. This example shows just how much they help neaten the appearance. 

I finish straight from the plane. Sanding clouds the surface, taking away the depth and liveliness of the wood.
(09-12-2018, 09:05 PM)wmickley Wrote: I think the dovetails look good. The pins are in a range where they are not so skinny as to look anemic, nor so fat as to look clumsy. The angles are in a nice range also. Often these esthetic considerations outweigh joint precision in overall appearance. There was a discussion about leaving the gauge line visible a few weeks ago. This example shows just how much they help neaten the appearance. 

I finish straight from the plane. Sanding clouds the surface, taking away the depth and liveliness of the wood.

Plus 1!
Where are all of you guys that dumped on scribed layout lines in that dovetail thread? 
Raised  If I was you I'd stay quiet.