Curious about plane storage angle....
I seem to remember setting mine at about..22-1/2 degrees?
Confused 

Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
My bench planes are stored vertically.

[Image: 42813697270_917c52b7ff_z.jpg]Image 9-11-18 at 5.11 PM by Hank Knight, on Flickr

I built a rack for them that captures the toe and the heel of the plane with cleats - no magnets. To remove a plane, all I have to do is lift it an inch or so until the heel clears the cleat and it's free. It's a very secure arrangement.

[Image: 29685671567_5f50a1b669_z.jpg]Image 9-11-18 at 5.13 PM by Hank Knight, on Flickr

The bed of the rack is lined with cork so I can store the planes without having to withdraw the irons.
(09-10-2018, 02:56 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: ... I expect part of what drives that angle is how much clearance is needed between the plane and the inside of the door as well as how much space might be needed above the planes for other tools.

I followed that rule also, and have no idea what the angle is. As long as the center of gravity of each 'hand plane' (tool), is behind the 'vertical plane' (geometric plane) of the stop, gravity keeps them in.

(09-10-2018, 02:56 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: I expect part of what drives that angle is how much clearance is needed between the plane and the inside of the door as well as how much space might be needed above the planes for other tools.

This, too... ^^^^^^

As it just so happens, that worked out to about 17 degrees for mine, too...
Winkgrin

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
What? No hanging from rawhide loops?  How about electo-magnets?
(09-21-2018, 10:23 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: What? No hanging from rawhide loops? 

That is another option.  A loop to secure the knobs works well
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-21-2018, 01:30 PM)Admiral Wrote: That is another option.  A loop to secure the knobs works well

A princely solution. Prince Albert, that is.
Make your wood sing!
The first year I was on the forum, I asked the advice of the peanut gallery on making my small shop more efficient.  The one thing they all agreed on was to get rid of all the shelves along the sides of the walls, and make ONE cabinet at the end.  Then toss the containers that the tools (routers, saws, drills, etc) came in and store each tool in the one cabinet.  When I did that, I made a custom drawer for planes.  There was a top sliding tray for smaller planes and a deep bottom section for larger planes.  Has worked very well.

The top section, (The padding slipped, but I have since straightened it back out.):

With that tray slid back, you can see the planes in the lower section:

In the drawer below this one, I store the molding planes and spokeshaves.

* The drawers were all built using the Ibox Jig and years later are all still as solid as a rock.

Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Mines at 30 degrees. it's what worked out with the depth of the cabinet.

Ed