Electrical Question-furnace power supply
Ok, I've got a two zone HVAC system that I'm getting bids for replacing.  Everybody looks into the panel, and says nothing.  The guy today looks in the panel and says that I've got to get an electrician because the power to the two furnaces is supplied by one 20 amp circuit, and code requires two separate 15 amp circuits, one for each furnace.  Systems were originally installed in 2000-2001 time period.  I'm scratching my head over this one.  Is he correct or a worry wart?  I'm in NJ if that makes any difference.  Thanks for any guidance.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I would bet the furnaces have a max circuit breaker rating of 15 amps. That, in my world says it can't be on a 20 amp breaker even if it shares that breaker. Unless there is some odd clause in your electric code, I suspect he's right. It's how I would have to do it here.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Assuming you do need two 15A circuits, is there a reason you can't pull them yourself? Do you have room in the panel to add another circuit?
. Least 2 separate 15 amp and do not share circuits.
John T.
(09-11-2018, 05:09 PM)Admiral Wrote: Ok, I've got a two zone HVAC system that I'm getting bids for replacing.  Everybody looks into the panel, and says nothing.  The guy today looks in the panel and says that I've got to get an electrician because the power to the two furnaces is supplied by one 20 amp circuit, and code requires two separate 15 amp circuits, one for each furnace.  Systems were originally installed in 2000-2001 time period.  I'm scratching my head over this one.  Is he correct or a worry wart?  I'm in NJ if that makes any difference.  Thanks for any guidance.

yep requires own breaker here no sharing so they can be locked out
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Thanks guys.

Yes, I can do my own 15amp run, I've got a couple of slots left in the box.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis