Shoulder plane
Hmmm...it would seem my "shoulder plane" is a rather old one....Auburn Tool Co. of Auburn NY
Cool  

Is actually a No. 181 Skew Rabbet
Cool  

Made way before those "other" tools..
Rolleyes  

Thick, tapered 1-1/2" iron
Winkgrin  

At least it works better than this one ever did...
Winkgrin 

So, the Stanley No. 90 was sold.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
My most used shoulder planes are two: a 7/16" wide Preston (yes, a collector quality) and a large LN. In between I have a number of woodies and a medium LV. Again, it comes down to what your need is for a shoulder plane and I have to add, the large LN (because of the mass) is very easy to use, and I mostly use it pulling towards me.

To the OP, if you haven't, you may wish to post the purpose for why you think you need a shoulder plane. Next, you may want to find someone who would lend you one to try.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I use a shoulder plane for what it was intended for: paring the shoulders of a tenon.

You can get in trouble quite easily using a shoulder plane on the faces, or cheeks, of a tenon.

I find a router plane with an base extension works best for tuning up long tenons because it keeps the tenon parallel with the face of the board.

I tend to use a rabbet block plane for getting the faces close, then the router plane for the final fit.

That being said, to the OP's question: I have both LN and LV shoulder planes.

I prefer the LV for 2 reasons: 1) ergonomics, 2) lateral iron adjustment screws.
Thank you all for the great information. I have decided to hold off on the shoulder plane until I have more use for it. Sometimes when I have money burning a hole in my pocket I tend to buy tools that I don't need
Smile Again, thanks for the suggestions!
(09-20-2018, 07:55 AM)Elijah A. Wrote: I tend to buy tools that I don't need
Smile Again, thanks for the suggestions!

You are not alone on that count! It is a disease that can't be cured as long as one has the disposable income to support it.

Simon