Band Saw Bearing Freeze
Tongue 
I have had my Jet Bandsaw for at least twenty years.  It has been a workhorse and of course I have done some upgrades over the years... some maintenance.

When the time came, I upgraded from rubber to urethane tires.

I noticed at one point that the upper wheel had started to rub, and it was time to replace the spring.  Since I had to remove the blade tension adjustment knob and shaft to replace that spring anyway, I replaced it with the speed crank and shaft upgrade at the same time as the heavier spring.

Tiring of the cool block blade guides, I ordered the Jet Roller Guides and installed those in 2003.  I have been very happy with those as well.

Well, until yesterday.  When I was changing blades and had the table off for readjustment of the upper and lower guides after changing the blades, I discovered that the lower roller bearings had frozen.  I removed the two lower bearing sets and disassembled them and sprayed the bearings with a penetrating oil and left them to soak overnight.  All four bearings on the upper guide spin freely and soundlessly.

Going out to check them this morning, I found that two had loosened a bit but were still very stiff.  Two were still frozen.  I dropped them in a jar and covered them to soak in WD40.  In case this doesn't work, I called Jet tech services.  Explaining the problem, I asked Jet if I could order replacement bearings... he provided the part and transferred me to Jet Parts.

Imagine my shock when I discovered that the cost of bearings was $22.50... EACH.  The cost to replace the four lower bearings was $90.  (Plus Shipping.)  The cost of replacing the entire guide set?  $159.95 plus shipping.  (On Amazon Prime... $159.95 and NO shipping.  Keep in mind that the Guide set has EIGHT bearings in it, so I can order a new set and install it... and save the four good bearings as back ups.

I told the young woman I wasn't upset with her, she just handled the orders... but a more reasonable price on the bearings would be very nice. 
Raised

Carter's Roller bearing set is $184 and has good reviews.  I haven't made a choice just yet... 

But, would this work?
Jet's part number is BB-608ZZ
Searching  for Bearings with the part number 608ZZ brings up a bearing on this site, and when I talked to the helpful gal at this company, she said that the standard bearing with that part number was mainly for skateboards and had lower tolerances.  She told me to type in 608 electric.  That bearing was for electric motors, had high tolerances and was made to run at high speeds for long hours and should be what I needed... ten for $50.

https://www.vxb.com/SearchResults.asp?Se...8+electric

I could replace the four bad bearings for around twenty five bucks using the single bearing price. I could replace all eight bearings for $50 buying at the ten bearing rate and have four old bearings that would still be "good" and two new ones on hand.  Or... order the new Jet Guide Set, or the Carter set.... decisions, decisions.

Anyone?
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Replace all ten of them for $20 (and have a bunch of spares to boot); https://www.vxb.com/16-Skates-608-2rs-Se...2rs-16.htm

Whatever you do, get -2RS bearings (two rubber seals) instead -ZZ bearings (steel shields). They last a ton longer in your application with no drawbacks. For bandsaw guides the cheapest solution is fine, there is no need for precision tolerance bearings. They get mucked up and seize long before they wear out.
(09-13-2018, 11:48 AM)jlanciani Wrote: Replace all ten of them for $20 (and have a bunch of spares to boot); https://www.vxb.com/16-Skates-608-2rs-Se...2rs-16.htm

Whatever you do, get -2RS bearings (two rubber seals) instead -ZZ bearings (steel shields). They last a ton longer in your application with no drawbacks. For bandsaw guides the cheapest solution is fine, there is no need for precision tolerance bearings. They get mucked up and seize long before they wear out.

+1

No need for high-precision bearings in this application.  Inexpensive bearings are the way to go.  Here's a pack of 20 with rubber seals for $12

https://www.amazon.com/20-Pack-608-2RS-B...B07C6FL8TW

I'm disappointed that JET is recommending such expensive bearings for use as guide bearings.

Mike
(09-13-2018, 12:08 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: +1

No need for high-precision bearings in this application.  Inexpensive bearings are the way to go.  Here's a pack of 20 with rubber seals for $12

https://www.amazon.com/20-Pack-608-2RS-B...B07C6FL8TW

I'm disappointed that JET is recommending such expensive bearings for use as guide bearings.

Mike
Ordered
Arriving monday...
It's fast enough... I will do some shop cleaning and such til then.
Thanks guys.

Cool
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Jim

I have had the same problem two times with my grizzly but not at the cost of yours and I had to replace 10 each time.

I did not like the price so I made them out of Lignum Vita with the two bearings combined into one size.  Now two years later they are still going strong.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-13-2018, 11:37 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Tiring of the cool block blade guides, I ordered the Jet Roller Guides and installed those in 2003.  I have been very happy with those as well.

Well, until yesterday.  When I was changing blades and had the table off for readjustment of the upper and lower guides after changing the blades, I discovered that the lower roller bearings had frozen.  I removed the two lower bearing sets and disassembled them and sprayed the bearings with a penetrating oil and left them to soak overnight.  All four bearings on the upper guide spin freely and soundlessly.

Going out to check them this morning, I found that two had loosened a bit but were still very stiff.  Two were still frozen.  I dropped them in a jar and covered them to soak in WD40.  In case this doesn't work, I called Jet tech services.  Explaining the problem, I asked Jet if I could order replacement bearings... he provided the part and transferred me to Jet Parts.

Imagine my shock when I discovered that the cost of bearings was $22.50... EACH.  The cost to replace the four lower bearings was $90.  (Plus Shipping.)  The cost of replacing the entire guide set?  $159.95 plus shipping.  (On Amazon Prime... $159.95 and NO shipping.  Keep in mind that the Guide set has EIGHT bearings in it, so I can order a new set and install it... and save the four good bearings as back ups.

Switched to ceramics a while back.  Turners cutting wet wood love 'em, because they're slicker than snot and have no moving parts to load up.  Got the thrust "bearings" too. 

https://spaceageceramics.com/store/
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(09-13-2018, 12:28 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Ordered
Arriving monday...
It's fast enough... I will do some shop cleaning and such til then.
Thanks guys.

Cool

There's something wrong with Amazon. For example; I order on the 10th and they say my order will arrive on the 15th, but I may get it on the 11th or 12th.
 Not a bad something wrong, but a good something wrong.  
Laugh

I ordered some large bearings last week- got them all in two days. Ordered a special sized nut- got it the next day (No shipping).  Kind of unheard of around here. Makes one want to  place the order, then get the binoculars and look around to see if the delivery guy is down the street jumping in his truck............  
Raised
(09-13-2018, 11:37 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I have had my Jet Bandsaw for at least twenty years.  It has been a workhorse and of course I have done some upgrades over the years... some maintenance.

I noticed at one point that the upper wheel had started to rub, and it was time to replace the spring.  Since I had to remove the blade tension adjustment knob and shaft to replace that spring anyway, I replaced it with the speed crank and shaft upgrade at the same time as the heavier spring.

Tiring of the cool block blade guides, I ordered the Jet Roller Guides and installed those in 2003.  I have been very happy with those as well.

I told the young woman I wasn't upset with her, she just handled the orders... but a more reasonable price on the bearings would be very nice. 
Raised

Carter's Roller bearing set is $184 and has good reviews.  I haven't made a choice just yet... 

But, would this work?
Searching  for Bearings with the part number 608ZZ brings up a bearing on this site, and when I talked to the helpful gal at this company, she said that the standard bearing with that part number was mainly for skateboards and had lower tolerances.  She told me to type in 608 electric.  That bearing was for electric motors, had high tolerances and was made to run at high speeds for long hours and should be what I needed... ten for $50.

I could replace the four bad bearings for around twenty five bucks using the single bearing price.  I could replace all eight bearings for $50 buying at the ten bearing rate and have four old bearings that would still be "good" and two new ones on hand.  Or... order the new Jet Guide Set, or the Carter set.... decisions, decisions.

Anyone?

I suggest measuring them up and going to Ebay to find them..They will be much cheaper...I have ordered quite a few with no problems ever..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Any standard bearings with correct dimensions and rubber shields should do. If you want them to be more reliable you can get better quality bearings but I rekon that is one of the few applications where cheap Chineese bearings are good enough. They will probably gum up before they wear out.

By the way bearings for electric motors (called C3 in Europe) are normally a little looser than ordinary bearings (called C0). This is because the higher temperature inside an electric motor makes the balls expand a little in use and there has to be room enough for that expansion.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(09-13-2018, 11:37 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I have had my Jet Bandsaw for at least twenty years.  It has been a workhorse and of course I have done some upgrades over the years... some maintenance.

Raised

But, would this work?

I could replace the four bad bearings for around twenty five bucks using the single bearing price.  I could replace all eight bearings for $50 buying at the ten bearing rate and have four old bearings that would still be "good" and two new ones on hand.  Or... order the new Jet Guide Set, or the Carter set.... decisions, decisions.

Anyone?

When ever you need bearings , pulleys , belts etc. Do a search " Power Transmission supply" If you are fortunate you will find it in the yellow pages. I used to have a store nearby that supplied anything related to power transmission and small stuff like bearings. I bought 12  bearings for $15.00 about 6 years ago. The first set installed is still spinning freely. The leftover bearings hang from a plastic bag attached to the inner top cover with a magnet. I used the bandsaw fairly heavily for 10 years. Averaged about 5 hours a week ,50 weeks a year. 

mike