Garage door plan - comments welcome
Hey all,

I know questions about garage doors have been asked before, and I've done a fair bit of reading/research. Below is my plan, and I'd welcome comments/feedback on it.

It seems like a decent number of people suggest hiring out a garage door replacement, but doing so would require moving some big woodworking machines around significantly (likely onto the driveway) and completely out of the way. If I do it myself, I can move machines as needed as I go just enough to be out of the way, and move again mid-project if needed. This is what pushes me to do it myself, as well as a general desire to do projects myself. I'm comfortable working with the garage door springs and have a healthy respect for them.

I live just outside Washington, DC, so we get all seasons and plenty of humidity. I have two single car garage doors, each 8' wide and 7' tall. There is living space above the garage and on the backside. Garage ceilings are 10' tall. Current doors are builder grade and have gotten to a point where they stop and go back up when trying to close due to the resistance and vibrations. Time for replacement.

1. I'm looking at Clopay garage doors. Classic collection. No windows. Steel on both sides with 2" intellicore insulation in the middle (R-value=18.4).
2. I'd likely purchase them through Home Depot due to proximity, but there are other independent dealers in the area if HD isn't a good idea.
3. I'd likely purchase and install the doors one at a time.
4. I would, of course, replace the tracks as well as the doors.
5. Current doors have extension springs. New doors would have torsion bars.
6. I'm planning to use LiftMaster 8500 jackshaft openers. I previously installed plugs near where the openers will be located.
7. I'd really like to do weather stripping up the sides and across the tops of the doors to help insulate the garage space as much as possible. I'm not blown away by weather stripping options I've seen and am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Tyler
I did my own a few years ago - sounds about like your plan (including the unimpressive weather stripping).  Torsion springs were tightened with the drill - simplifying the most dangerous/difficult part of older style torsion springs.

It was time consuming, but pretty simple.
The liftmaster openers are a bit tricky to install.....have to have the door going downhill all the time. Meaning the horizontal track cannot be straight. ANY slack at ANY time in the cable will cause problems.

Ed
(09-13-2018, 07:41 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Hey all,

I know questions about garage doors have been asked before, and I've done a fair bit of reading/research.  Below is my plan, and I'd welcome comments/feedback on it.

It seems like a decent number of people suggest hiring out a garage door replacement, but doing so would require moving some big woodworking machines around significantly (likely onto the driveway) and completely out of the way.  If I do it myself, I can move machines as needed as I go just enough to be out of the way, and move again mid-project if needed.  This is what pushes me to do it myself, as well as a general desire to do projects myself.  I'm comfortable working with the garage door springs and have a healthy respect for them.

I live just outside Washington, DC, so we get all seasons and plenty of humidity.  I have two single car garage doors, each 8' wide and 7' tall.  There is living space above the garage and on the backside.  Garage ceilings are 10' tall.  Current doors are builder grade and have gotten to a point where they stop and go back up when trying to close due to the resistance and vibrations.  Time for replacement.

1. I'm looking at Clopay garage doors. Classic collection.  No windows.  Steel on both sides with 2" intellicore insulation in the middle (R-value=18.4).
2. I'd likely purchase them through Home Depot due to proximity, but there are other independent dealers in the area if HD isn't a good idea.

5. Current doors have extension springs.  New doors would have torsion bars.
6. I'm planning to use LiftMaster 8500 jackshaft openers.  I previously installed plugs near where the openers will be located.
7. I'd really like to do weather stripping up the sides and across the tops of the doors to help insulate the garage space as much as possible.  I'm not blown away by weather stripping options I've seen and am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Tyler

I did a job once where moving lab equipment was out of the question. A dropped ceiling and light fixtures were the work to be done. The ceilings in this building were also high, 12'-0" if I recall. Even narrow scaffold would not work. I built Trestles that were made to fit between obstacles and planked over . Plastic sheeting over the planks to protect from dust and then covered with 3/4 plywood sheathing. The work was completed and the wood scaffolding removed.
You might be able to do the same thing and then have a garage door outfit come in. 

mike
I'm not poo-pooing the jackshaft openers, but iId read some more about them before deciding to use that style....they have advantages, but some disadvantages (as far as I'm concerned) as well. Clopay makes fine doors, but there are some (as mentioned above) that have torsion springs that you tighten with a drill....takes the pucker factor down a few notches.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I know questions about garage doors have been asked before, and I've done a fair bit of reading/research.  Below is my plan, and I'd welcome comments/feedback on it.

It seems like a decent number of people suggest hiring out a garage door replacement, but doing so would require moving some big woodworking machines around significantly (likely onto the driveway) and completely out of the way.  If I do it myself, I can move machines as needed as I go just enough to be out of the way, and move again mid-project if needed.  This is what pushes me to do it myself, as well as a general desire to do projects myself.  I'm comfortable working with the garage door springs and have a healthy respect for them.

I live just outside Washington, DC, so we get all seasons and plenty of humidity.  I have two single car garage doors, each 8' wide and 7' tall.  There is living space above the garage and on the backside.  Garage ceilings are 10' tall.  Current doors are builder grade and have gotten to a point where they stop and go back up when trying to close due to the resistance and vibrations.  Time for replacement.

1. I'm looking at Clopay garage doors. Classic collection.  No windows.  Steel on both sides with 2" intellicore insulation in the middle (R-value=18.4).
6. I'm planning to use LiftMaster 8500 jackshaft openers.  I previously installed plugs near where the openers will be located.
7. I'd really like to do weather stripping up the sides and across the tops of the doors to help insulate the garage space as much as possible.  I'm not blown away by weather stripping options I've seen and am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Tyler
hi tyler   ive put in maybe a 100 of those 8500 haven't had many problems, they very easy to install. the up grade insulation is a good idea if you have heat in the garage. i would use regular torsion springs instead of the easy set ones. the vinyl weather strip works fine should be able to get it same color as door. when i do side jobs i tell people to go to hd or menards to get doors, menards sells ideal witch is owned by clopay, doors are the same.   good luck  jerry

Thanks!
Tyler

Replaced both of my 8' garage doors a few years ago as part of a home remodel/addition project. Bit the bullet and had a local company do it, new openers included. Went with insulated doors with weatherstripping, which has worked out well. Unless you have a security problem, I would recommend windows. Mine are at the top which brings lots of natural light but does not reveal the contents as easily.

Doug
I love the 8500 door openers. I can't think of a downside except cost. From a security standpoint, they are better. They use a real electric deadbolt on the door track. Installation is dirt simple too.

No comment on the actual doors except that you might need help with insulated panels. They are substantially heavier than non-insulated. I would buy both as the same time if for no other reason than making sure they match in color.

Last comment. If you are just replacing them because they seem worn out, but you like them otherwise, having a garage door company come out and do a tune up is well worth it. They will adjust, replace wheels, etc. It would be smooth when they leave. Should be only a couple hundred bucks.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Hey all,

Thanks for the thoughts and feedback. Sounds like I'm at least headed in the right direction in general.

EdL Wrote:Meaning the horizontal track cannot be straight. ANY slack at ANY time in the cable will cause problems.
Interesting to know. I'll keep that in mind.

fredhargis Wrote:I'm not poo-pooing the jackshaft openers, but iId read some more about them before deciding to use that style....they have advantages, but some disadvantages (as far as I'm concerned) as well. Clopay makes fine doors, but there are some (as mentioned above) that have torsion springs that you tighten with a drill....takes the pucker factor down a few notches.
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on disadvantages. I've read a fair amount about them and have encountered very few negative comments. And, not sure if you're saying it or not, but the Clopay doors use torsion springs that you can tighten with a drill, I believe. I'll have to verify.

jerry s Wrote:hi tyler ive put in maybe a 100 of those 8500 haven't had many problems, they very easy to install. the up grade insulation is a good idea if you have heat in the garage. i would use regular torsion springs instead of the easy set ones.
I don't have permanent heat in the garage, but I use space heaters sometimes in the winter. And in the summer, it can be a bit uncomfortably hot in the garage. Given that I have living spaces above the garage, I think the better insulation will help with my overall energy bill and will make the garage a bit more comfortable year-round.

Can you expand upon why you'd recommend regular torsion springs instead of the easy set ones?

Tapper Wrote:Unless you have a security problem, I would recommend windows. Mine are at the top which brings lots of natural light but does not reveal the contents as easily.
I've thought about windows. My neighborhood doesn't really have security problems, so that isn't an issue. Do your windows allow enough light to make a difference when working on (and more importantly, finishing) a project? I have to imagine the garage lights would still be the dominant light source. A few years ago, I outfit my garage with a bunch of those 4' LED bulbs from Costco and it is now BRIGHT in there. No issues with lack of light anywhere. So, given that I already have adequate light, I don't see value in paying extra for windows (and losing some insulation). If I need sunlight, I can always open the garage doors.

Mr Mike Wrote:No comment on the actual doors except that you might need help with insulated panels. They are substantially heavier than non-insulated. I would buy both as the same time if for no other reason than making sure they match in color.

Last comment. If you are just replacing them because they seem worn out, but you like them otherwise, having a garage door company come out and do a tune up is well worth it. They will adjust, replace wheels, etc. It would be smooth when they leave. Should be only a couple hundred bucks.
Interesting thought about the colors, and certainly worth being aware of. I mostly didn't want to get them at the same time because I don't currently have a great place to put them (my garage is FULL). I'll have to think about that.

I don't really like the current doors. I believe they're the original builder's grade (37 years old). Minimal insulation, worn tracks and wheels, extension springs, and a chain opener. It is very loud in the bedrooms above the garage, to the point where I don't use the automatic opener when anyone is asleep. I realize that some of this could be decreased by tuning up the garage doors, but there's not really an aspect about them that I actually like at the moment. Seems like a good reason to change.

Thanks!
Tyler
(09-16-2018, 05:53 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Hey all,

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on disadvantages.  I've read a fair amount about them and have encountered very few negative comments.  And, not sure if you're saying it or not, but the Clopay doors use torsion springs that you can tighten with a drill, I believe.  I'll have to verify.

The part I like the least (not based on actual experience) is that the doors close with their own weight (gravity), the jackshaft opener can't push it closed. That means tracks are usually pitched a little to have the door push itself closed, or they get some kind of spring assist. Like I said, I'm not poo-pooing them, and they have their use in specific situations..and advantages. But given the extra cost, I'd go with a trolly unless there was no other choice. I was unaware that Clopay made doors with the drill tightned springs, it was on;y in the above post I learned they made the Ideal line sold by Menards (and others, I guess).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.