I might finally understand the attraction to wooden planes...
I built this plane a long time ago.... I can't say that it was a love at first swipe relationship. It was "cool" because I made it and it had a really hefty blade, but it didn't work so hot. More accurately, I didn't know how to use it. I glued up a piece of poplar poorly and as my punishment, I decided to plane it flat. After all of the hard work with the other planes, I decided to give the wooden plane another go. After our long separation time I think I finally have the beginning of the gist of how to get the blade positioned and to take some half-way decent shavings. I will definitely give it more use and see where this relationshipip goes!

[Image: PbAWLuvl.jpg]
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
Way to go! Keep us apprised of your journey.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(09-14-2018, 03:48 PM)titanxt Wrote: I built this plane a long time ago.... I can't say that it was a love at first swipe relationship. It was "cool" because I made it and it had a really hefty blade, but it didn't work so hot. More accurately, I didn't know how to use it. I glued up a piece of poplar poorly and as my punishment, I decided to plane it flat. After all of the hard work with the other planes, I decided to give the wooden plane another go. After our long separation time I think I finally have the beginning of the gist of how to get the blade positioned and to take some half-way decent shavings. I will definitely give it more use and see where this relationshipip goes!

[Image: PbAWLuvl.jpg]
I know the quality of work you do on pistols....you will certainly master wooden planes!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Very nice! It's always satisfying to get a tool in working order.

I love my wooden jack plane. I wouldn't trade it for an iron one, mostly because I prefer a lightweight jack plane. I'm still learning to adjust it properly, but it really does work well.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
It's a similar story for me.

I first built a wood jack plane in 2009 based on a Derek Cohen article!
I've found a flipped dozens of metal planes since then.  Metal planes, especially Stanleys, are in great demand.
Several times I tried woodies and got sort of frustrated.   But a "see the light" moment came for me when I found a plane-adjusting hammer that was just right.  It wasn't rocket science, but it did have some trial and error.

Now I almost always use a woodie smoother.  Regarding the No. 5 and No. 6 size planes, mostly I use metal ones.   I did even find today that I liked a metal one because I could rapidly switch from right-handed planing to left-handed planing, which helped me on a difficult piece of wood.

Enjoy your project,

Chris
Chris
You should see a doctor immediately, before it gets worse! Plane fever is an insidious disease!