Veritas Shooting Board: Outstanding!
So I've had a shoot board plane for longer than I care to admit.  Of course, without a shoot board, its basically a boat anchor.  Its one of those "when I get around to it" projects that I never seemed to get around to.  Enter Veritas shoot board components.  The first element I considered buying was the track. Hey, if I bought the track, I"d have to build the board, right? Hey, whats this: a very cool (let call it the ultimate) shoot board fence: OK, I'm in for that too.  Wait: for $40 more, Lee Valley will build the shoot board for me and ship it to me (got to love the free shipping).  I'm in. To my amazement, the board came perfectly set up for my LN 51R: not adjustments needed.  The results:  how did I get by so long without this? Try it: you'll like it!

Attached Files Image(s)

I like it!! Looks like it should work extremely well. Is the track lined with the low drag tape (lack of the correct term...)? Looks like it is, but not sure. Also, the bench is nice too!

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
Yes: track is slippery as an eel. Glad you mentioned the bench (thanks for the kind words): its inevitable that
the build vs buy issue comes up with this sort of device. Since I built my bench, I get a pass on buying the shoot board!
Good to know I'm not the only one who hasn't used their plane. I've had mine for over a year, along with the track, but haven't made a shooting board for it yet.

(09-15-2018, 05:07 PM)msweig Wrote: Good to know I'm not the only one who hasn't used their plane. I've had mine for over a year, along with the track, but haven't made a shooting board for it yet.

So many tools: so little time!
(09-15-2018, 05:07 PM)msweig Wrote: Good to know I'm not the only one who hasn't used their plane. I've had mine for over a year, along with the track, but haven't made a shooting board for it yet.

Now you've done it.  You should have kept quiet.  I'm going to expose you at the next hand tool splinter group meeting.
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
I got the fence earlier this week, and installed it on my existing board today; I had made my own "slot" for the plane in my existing board and just keep it waxed, goes smooth as silk. The fence, once installed and aligned, is dead on. I'm glad I bought it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-15-2018, 06:20 PM)Admiral Wrote: I got the fence earlier this week, and installed it on my existing board today; I had made my own "slot" for the plane in my existing board and just keep it waxed, goes smooth as silk.  The fence, once installed and aligned, is dead on.  I'm glad I bought it.

Although I've only used the fence at 90° it does look like it will be very versatile: and it is absolutely solid: no movement while planing some scrap maple. And yes: dead on out of the box (always a nice surprise).
I bought the shooting board also, even though I had a fixed 90 degree board that I had made that I was very happy with. The board I made actually has a lip on the adjustable piece that captures the plane in the slot so that it cannot tilt. I believe everything about the Veritas board is top notch-very pleased after having played with it for a little bit. The one thing that I might have done differently would be to make it a bit wider, but I understand the reason for making it the size it is.

Attached Files Image(s)

(09-15-2018, 06:36 PM)Philip1231 Wrote:   And yes: dead on out of the box (always a nice surprise).

Well, when you just get the fence, you have to drill some fairly precise holes in your existing board for a threaded insert for the lock down lever, and to epoxy in another insert for the pivot bolt; then set the detent plate, align and set in the micro adjuster gauge.  Nothing anyone can't handle, forstner bits help with the holes, but you align it yourself.  The instructions, as usual, are very clear.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis