Removing rust from old plane
Is there some inexpensive solution I can buy or make to remove the rust from an old hand plane? I have just one that needs work, and I don't want to spend a lot.
(09-20-2018, 08:14 AM)overland Wrote: Is there some inexpensive solution I can buy or make to remove the rust from an old hand plane? I have just one that needs work, and I don't want to spend a lot.

One word, "Evaporust".

Cheap, effective and somewhat re-usable.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Evaporust is pretty good, but vinegar or Coke are cheaper. Evaporust will also discover the steel and you'll need to scrub it down with a Scotchbrite pad or steel wool to remove the staining. Personally, I use a coarse Scotchbrite pad and WD-40 from the start. Takes a little more elbow grease, but it's a LOT faster.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(09-20-2018, 09:07 AM)DaveParkis Wrote: Evaporust is pretty good, but vinegar or Coke are cheaper. Evaporust will also discover the steel and you'll need to scrub it down with a Scotchbrite pad or steel wool to remove the staining. Personally, I use a coarse Scotchbrite pad and WD-40 from the start. Takes a little more elbow grease, but it's a LOT faster.

Yep...Vinegar works fine and is by far the cheapest way to go...About two bucks a gallon.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

No question Evaporust is far superior to vinegar.

Be sure to wire brush as much rust off as you can before soaking.
And...have a can of WD40 handy when you remove the parts from the dip tank......

Dungeon Rehab shop does not use any soakings, to clean up a planes....maybe a spritz of WD40 to keep the rust bunnies away....to be followed up with a cheap paint brush soaked in 3in1 oil.    From this..

To this...

Walked home with this Dunlap #3 one afternoon..by bedtime it was done.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Three ways to remove rust.  The most effective is chelation (Evapo-Rust).   It's also the most expensive.

Mechanical Abrasion:
WD-40 and a Scotchbrite pad or sandpaper
Wire brush (powered or hand-held)
Razor blade (flat surfaces)

Acid Etching:
Removes rust by attacking the layer of unrusted metal underneath the rust.  Rust flakes off.
Acetic Acid (Vinegar)
Citric Acid (Pretty much the same as Acetic - food preservatives)
Phosphoric Acid (Sodas, TSP - Tri-sodium-phosphate)
Hydrochloric Acid (Rustoleum)
Oxalic Acid

Chelation:
Removes rust by chemical reaction pulling the rust into a liquid solution of other chemicals - unrusted metal is intact.
Evaporust
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(09-20-2018, 10:50 AM)bandit571 Wrote: And...have a can of WD40 handy when you remove the parts from the dip tank......

Dungeon Rehab shop does not use any soakings, to clean up a planes....maybe a spritz of WD40 to keep the rust bunnies away....to be followed up with a cheap paint brush soaked in 3in1 oil.    From this..

To this...

Walked home with this Dunlap #3 one afternoon..by bedtime it was done.

After cleaning tools, I use a deburring wheel...bought one about 15yrs ago and have never looked back...They can put the finishing touch on any rusted or patinated tool in short order....I let electrons do the heavy lifting.
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-20-2018, 11:30 AM)AHill Wrote: Mechanical Abrasion:
WD-40 and a Scotchbrite pad or sandpaper
Wire brush (powered or hand-held)
Razor blade (flat surfaces)

I'd reverse this order, I use a razor blade first.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
First time I used it, I was shocked at how much rust a razor blade removed. Seriously, try it. Follow up with some WD40 and sandpaper on the parts a blade can’t reach.

A wire wheel on a grinder or drill press can help, too, especially on screw threads after soaking in acid (vinegar, etc). Just hold on tight!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop