360 Woodworking still in existence?
I liked the 360 site a lot.  Was a great bargain for $36/yr.

Lonnie
that would be a good move to bring back Glen to PWW....Good man...
Jerry
(09-21-2018, 06:12 AM)Sparky2002 Wrote: Chuck Bender moved back to PA.  He seems to be getting back into his old groove.  He will be doing classes at his shop.  I just happen to go his website this week.

Here's what Chuck is doing, from his blog:

https://acanthus.com/2018/01/05/back-whe...gan-sorta/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-20-2018, 06:35 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The 360woodworking.com link seems to be dead, which I have not visited for a year, if not longer. Has that woodworking business come to an end?

It was a venture started by the previous editors of Popular Woodworking (Chuck Bender, Glen Huey and another fellow whose name just escaped me), after they left the magazine (and that was also the turning point when the magazine started losing its appeal to a lot of its readers).

Simon

Simon,

I left the venture about two years ago in order to get back into teaching and making. Glen had every intention of continuing 360. 

I moved back to PA about a year ago and have been occupied with building/expanding my new shop, teaching hands-on classes, working on making furniture and generally trying to get things geared up for a return to producing online content of several flavors. 

One of my students this summer mentioned he had received an email from Glen stating that the 360 site would shut down on September 15th and that he would be moving on from woodworking. Not surprising as he had talked about changing directions even before I moved to Cincinnati to work for PopWood.

Chuck Bender
Chuck Bender

Woodworking Content Producer –Acanthus Workshop
Period Furniture Maker - Woodworking instructor

Great to know you are teaching and building, Chuck. Also good to know that you are doing the Woodworking Show in Baltimore in January.

Simon
(12-02-2018, 06:38 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Great to know you are teaching and building, Chuck. Also good to know that you are doing the Woodworking Show in Baltimore in January.

Simon

Simon,

Not only the Baltimore show, but I'll be at all the shows again in 2019. I had so much fun meeting woodworkers and teaching woodworking techniques all over the country at the 2018 shows, when they asked me back I immediately said, "yes." Hope to see you, and lots of others, at the shows starting next month.

Chuck
Chuck Bender

(12-02-2018, 09:14 PM)acanthuscarver Wrote: Simon,

Not only the Baltimore show, but I'll be at all the shows again in 2019.

Chuck

Definitely a PLUS for the Woodworking Show! In the older days, they featured other skilled craftsmen like you, such as Graham Blackburn, and Paul Sellers.

Simon
Chuck, glad to hear you are in Jim Thorpe, we have a seasonal place there.
Do you have a schedule for classes coming up?
(12-03-2018, 05:26 AM)johndi Wrote: Chuck, glad to hear you are in Jim Thorpe, we have a seasonal place there.
Do you have a schedule for classes coming up?

John, 

You can check out my classes at https://acanthus.com/product-category/hands-on-classes/

I've gone real small now. The classes are mostly limited to two or three people max.

Chuck
Chuck Bender

(12-03-2018, 08:29 AM)acanthuscarver Wrote: I've gone real small now. The classes are mostly limited to two or three people max.

Chuck

Good for you, Chuck. Some classes out there are 10 or even 18 students per seminar (latter with teaching assistants other than the principal instructor), and frankly, one-on-one instructions are almost impossible in such big classes. Despite the large class sizes, they are not cheap per person (not including lumber and supplies, or meal and accommodation). If the objective is to simply complete a project, big classes will work, but for deep skill-learning, small classes are the way to go. In my view, 6 is the max., no matter how skilled the instructor is.

Simon