Loctite Naval Jelly and Cast Iron
Anyone have experience with this product? The hardware store recommended it to remove rust from my cast iron surfaces. Wow. Stuff works like magic. Scrubbing with a Scotch Brite the rust came off so easy I got to worrying if the product is too strong for the surface and that maybe its damaging the iron somehow. Whenever I've tried to remove rust in the past there was a lot more work involved, maybe a sander.

Anyhow once the rust came out I CLR degreased and then top coated with paste wax.  The top looks great, cleaner than ever, but was this a risky solution to removing rust? I don't see anyone else talking about this product and I'm afraid to find out why.
It can discolor the cast iron, but I think that is pretty much the only caveat.
Hazardous Component(s)  Percentage*
Phosphoric acid  30
2-Propanol     5
Xanthan gum  5
Sulfuric acid   1
Silica, amorphous, fumed, crystal-free   1
Diiron trioxide  1
Magnesium oxide    1
Aluminium oxide     1
Alcohols, C11-14-iso-, C13 rich     1

It's done a lot of work for a lot of people over the years -- I'm fixing to start some work that will need a bunch of it
Rolleyes

Follow the directions -- get rid of the rust, clean the surface, protect it from getting rusty again.
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/muriatic-acid/

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Wow, I haven't heard anyone mention Naval jelly in about 30 years.  I remember when I was a kid, it was used all the time.  I figured it disappeared from the market because it caused cancer or something.  I'll have to look for it the next time I'm out & about.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Plenty of ways to remove rust.  

I've used a product called Marykate boat bottom cleaner.  This stuff is sold to remove rust stains and dissolve barnacles off boats, and it hell on rusty surfaces.  It is a mixture of phosphoric and sulfuric acid, really nasty stuff.  Neutralizes the rust in about 5 minutes, then rinse it off with water and dry quickly before flash rust occurs.  Wear long gloves, eye protection and a respirator  and do it outside.

Or you can go the slow route and do electrolysis.
(09-21-2018, 07:40 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: I've used a product called Marykate boat bottom cleaner. 

Speaking of boats, I've used Bar Keepers Friend for removing rust stains from white gel coat.  Oxalic acid is the active ingredient, and it works a treat.  Pile a little on the stain, wet it, wait a little, and wash off.  No stain.  But I have no idea what it would do with rust on cast iron or steel.

OK, so what are rust stains doing on marine gel coat you ask?  Ever get a used boat from a hack who thought shiny nickel-plated screws were stainless steel?  
Mad
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-20-2018, 08:51 PM)Zundy Wrote: Anyone have experience with this product? The hardware store recommended it to remove rust from my cast iron surfaces. Wow. Stuff works like magic. Scrubbing with a Scotch Brite the rust came off so easy I got to worrying if the product is too strong for the surface and that maybe its damaging the iron somehow. Whenever I've tried to remove rust in the past there was a lot more work involved, maybe a sander.

Anyhow once the rust came out I CLR degreased and then top coated with paste wax.  The top looks great, cleaner than ever, but was this a risky solution to removing rust? I don't see anyone else talking about this product and I'm afraid to find out why.

How is the stuff when you try to apply it?  I had great success with Evaporust liquid.  Had a need to try out their "gel" but it was like Gak or those other "slime" toys that they sell to kids in that when you tried to pull out a little bit of the stuff, it wanted to pull the entire bottle out, I literally needed to cut it with scissors or a knife and it didn't seem to lay on the metal right to do its job.  To say it was disappointing is an understatement.  I am not sure if I just got a bad batch or if that's how ER's "gel" is.  Might give Naval Jelly a try now seeing your recommendation.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
I use naval jelly for rust removal on my cast iron. If you don't leave it too long it won't discolor the iron. I smear it on with a Scotchbrite pad, let it sit for a few minutes, smear it some more and wipe it off with a rag. I give the iron a final wipe down with a damp rag and dry it real good. Then wax with Minwax. I guess there are other ways but this worked well for my grandfather, father and for me for about 40 years so I've never found any need to change.
(09-21-2018, 11:10 AM)pprobus Wrote: How is the stuff when you try to apply it?  I had great success with Evaporust liquid.  Had a need to try out their "gel" but it was like Gak or those other "slime" toys that they sell to kids in that when you tried to pull out a little bit of the stuff, it wanted to pull the entire bottle out, I literally needed to cut it with scissors or a knife and it didn't seem to lay on the metal right to do its job.  To say it was disappointing is an understatement.  I am not sure if I just got a bad batch or if that's how ER's "gel" is.  Might give Naval Jelly a try now seeing your recommendation.

It was easy to pull out the desired quantity and smear it on. Maybe your gel product was out of date and became too viscous?