Dating Very Unusual Bailey #7 Jointer
Hi Admiral,

You wrote:

Quote:but the brass on the post nuts eliminate it as a wartime plane as steel screws were used and the tote and knob were drilled differently to accommodate that change

This is new to me. Could you elaborate? I have a very original wartime Bailey 7 with steel screws for knob and tote. They screw into a non-WWII plane and the threads are the same tpi. Is there a different angle or something I am missing?

Thanks much, Homer
They didn't need to drill for the depth the brass nuts needed.   Maybe just deep enough for the head of the steel bolt, and a washer under it.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-24-2018, 04:56 PM)HomerLee Wrote: Hi Admiral,

You wrote:

This is new to me. Could you elaborate? I have a very original wartime Bailey 7 with steel screws for knob and tote. They screw into a non-WWII plane and the threads are the same tpi. Is there a different angle or something I am missing?

Thanks much, Homer

The brass nut on top, not the threads on the bottom of the rod/screw.  Brass nuts are more of a barrel shape, and the top of the knob and tote were countersunk to accommodate that.  Wartime planes with a simple screw head are not countersunk as much, just enough to make the screw head flush.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-24-2018, 05:51 PM)bandit571 Wrote: They didn't need to drill for the depth the brass nuts needed.   Maybe just deep enough for the head of the steel bolt, and a washer under it.

The washer was not an OEM part; as the wood likely shrank up a bit over time, washers were added by users.  What they should have done is file off a bit of the bottom of the screw/rod.
(09-24-2018, 08:21 PM)Admiral Wrote: The washer was not an OEM part; as the wood likely shrank up a bit over time, washers were added by users.  What they should have done is file off a bit of the bottom of the screw/rod.

Have also found  a lockwasher in some of them....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Admiral, now I'm embarrassed. Read your post again and you plainly said "the drilling of the knob and tote". Looking at the head of the steel screws it should have been obvious to me. I think you are correct in your idea the plane is an early type 16.

Thanks again!
(09-24-2018, 10:55 PM)HomerLee Wrote: Admiral, now I'm embarrassed. Read your post again and you plainly said "the drilling of the knob and tote". Looking at the head of the steel screws it should have been obvious to me. I think you are correct in your idea the plane is an early type 16.

Thanks again!

Don't be, there are so may idiosyncrasies in the various types it is easy to get confused.  I was at a CRAFTSof NJ meeting where 5 of us had five different opinions on the type of a Stanley plane.....