Tight jaws on drill press chuck
(09-23-2018, 11:29 AM)Aram Wrote: ...I love an inexpensive solution...

That's precisely why you now need to replace the Chinese chuck.
Wood is good. 
(09-23-2018, 01:28 PM)fredhargis Wrote: My Delta DP chuck did that. I tried to repair it, and it didn't work. You should try the oil/cleaner/etc. solutions and if that doesn't work buy a new one. I'll recommend a non Asian chuck, and the one I picked was an LFA

Thanks, everyone. This has been very helpful.

I definitely do not want a keyless chuck. Searches on woodworking and machinist forums are turning up, besides Jacobs (which I gather have declined in quality lately), Rohm and Albrecht. Any others I should look at? (Fred, your link is taking me to Waterlox.) 

Meanwhile, I'll try cleaning it and see where that gets me.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Sorry, I edited it to correct, but just in case try here.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-23-2018, 02:29 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Sorry, I edited it to correct, but just in case try here.

Thanks. I meant to mention, the original chuck has 5/8" capacity. I would like to keep that.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Jacobs ball bearing keyed "superchuck" you can find them on eBay for much less than new prices. They may need a good cleaning but usually are great for accurate woodworking use. I may have a 5/8 superchuck laying around my shop that could work for you. Not sure of the taper on the arbor. I'll check later today or tomorrow.
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(09-23-2018, 04:12 PM)alanealane Wrote: Jacobs ball bearing keyed "superchuck" you can find them on eBay for much less than new prices. They may need a good cleaning but usually are great for accurate woodworking use. I may have a 5/8 superchuck laying around my shop that could work for you. Not sure of the taper on the arbor. I'll check later today or tomorrow.

Thanks. My press takes #2 Morse.
Best,
Aram, always learning

(09-23-2018, 05:52 PM)Aram Wrote: Thanks. My press takes #2 Morse.

Aw man I just looked and I have a really nice Röhm 1/2" ball bearing and a Jacobs Superchuck 14N but they both only go to 1/2" and are a MT4 taper I believe, which can be sleeved up to MT2. But probably won't work for ya. But see what you can come up with on eBay, where I bought all mine. There's an auction with 22 hours left for a Superchuck 16N on eBay currently at $11.50 plus $12 shipping  but it has no arbor. You can buy a decent Chinese MT2 to Jacobs taper arbor for cheeeeap! And there's a buy it now listing for one around $60 shipped with the arbor which is still a steal! Bear in mind that they usually won't grab a bit smaller than 1/8"
Smile
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(09-23-2018, 08:43 PM)alanealane Wrote: Aw man I just looked and I have a really nice Röhm 1/2" ball bearing and a Jacobs Superchuck 14N but they both only go to 1/2" and are a MT4 taper I believe, which can be sleeved up to MT2. But probably won't work for ya. But see what you can come up with on eBay, where I bought all mine. There's an auction with 22 hours left for a Superchuck 16N on eBay currently at $11.50 plus $12 shipping  but it has no arbor. You can buy a decent Chinese MT2 to Jacobs taper arbor for cheeeeap! And there's a buy it now listing for one around $60 shipped with the arbor which is still a steal! Bear in mind that they usually won't grab a bit smaller than 1/8"
Smile

Thanks for checking! And yes, I will be all over the 'Bay.
Best,
Aram, always learning

(09-23-2018, 11:02 AM)Aram Wrote: I have a Steel City 17" drill press. It's a great machine, but the chuck jaws are extremely hard to open and close by hand. I don't know why I didn't call them about it when I had the chance, but here I am. Do you think there's anything I can do? Or am I stuck on the tight end of tolerances?

Thanks.

I had a chuck that was hard to open and close disassembled the chuck deburred and cleaned and the chuck worked fine.
Video on you tube that explains how to disassemble.
[attachment=13344]
(09-23-2018, 02:34 PM)Aram Wrote: Thanks. I meant to mention, the original chuck has 5/8" capacity. I would like to keep that.

The LFA comes in a 5/8" version and is the one I bought for my press. In my case it was an upsize, since the OEM was 1/2". What surprised me was the physical size difference to get the extra 1/8" capacity.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.