A Plane Maintenance Issue
Tongue 
Went out to work in the shop a few days ago, and happened to open the bottom drawer in the plane storage and was shocked to find that there was a fuzz problem with the antique Molding Planes.  I have never had this issue, but the Climate Control in the shop was down for about six months, and had just recently been repaired.  I'm sure the high humidity caused by the failure of the AC had caused this issue.

I didn't have the time to address the mold on the molding planes immediately, but put it at the top of my to do list.  Yesterday, Miss T had to run to town and take care of several errands.  I took that time to pull each of the planes out of the drawer, knock out the blade, and wipe the body and wedge down with a rough cloth soaked in mineral spirits.  It seemed to do the job.  After an hour or so of work, they all looked much better.

I checked the upper plane storage, both sections, and the other planes were fine.  

Sliding back the top tray in the upper plane storage drawer reveals the larger planes stored below... they all looked good as well.

I'll have to make a loop around the shop in the next day or so and make a check of all the tools and equipment to make sure nothing else needs attention. 
No  I have done detailed maintenance recently on the band saw and table saw. Cleaning, tuning and adjustment.  That's a good start anyway. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
If I see a return of the mold on the old planes, I guess a light sanding and adding a finish to the wooden portions would put a stop to it.
They have been fine up to this point, so I feel the repaired AC will put a stop to the mold.
Jim in Okie
(09-24-2018, 08:48 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: If I see a return of the mold on the old planes, I guess a light sanding and adding a finish to the wooden portions would put a stop to it.
They have been fine up to this point, so I feel the repaired AC will put a stop to the mold.

A coat of Johnson's wax on the uppers (not the sole, nor the part of the wedge that engages) would do, that, or a spit coat of shellac, would seal it up.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-24-2018, 08:56 AM)Admiral Wrote: A coat of Johnson's wax on the uppers (not the sole, nor the part of the wedge that engages) would do, that, or a spit coat of shellac, would seal it up.

Thank you sir... 
Wink
It's supposed to rain for the next week.  A good project to fill some time over the next few days. 
Yes
Jim in Okie
Mold and mildew loves linseed oil,  which is a great reason to not use it on wooden planes that are sealed away and infrequently used.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

Seal up the drawers and put a couple camphor cubes in there.

BTW not the best way to store hand planes eventually you will chip an iron.
Just about every pill bottle comes with a little packet...desiccant (sp?)....and....IF you ask nicely, the Druggist will throw in a big handful of them, rather than throw them away.

Toss a handful of them into each drawer...change them out maybe every week or so.   The absorb the moisture inside the closed space, be it a pill bottle, or a drawer of planes.

Give it a try...
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-24-2018, 01:20 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Just about every pill bottle comes with a little packet...desiccant (sp?)....and....IF you ask nicely, the Druggist will throw in a big handful of them, rather than throw them away.

I get 1kg sleeves of desiccant from work; they ship high tech electronics internationally with them, work great.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-24-2018, 09:25 AM)ZachDillinger Wrote: Mold and mildew loves linseed oil,  which is a great reason to not use it on wooden planes that are sealed away and infrequently used.

Loves as in "feeds" on it.   Good wipe and 2#cut of shellac will sure help.  No shellac on the sliding surfaces, where the heat of friction might cause some drag.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(09-24-2018, 02:27 PM)Admiral Wrote: I get 1kg sleeves of desiccant from work; they ship high tech electronics internationally with them, work great.
You can buy silica gel from Wal-Mart Amazon, and possibly craft stores like Michael's in bulk form much cheaper and it can be rejuvenated by a few minutes in a warm oven or microwave.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Panacea-Silic...b/24547309
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset