A Plane Maintenance Issue
(09-24-2018, 02:34 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You can buy silica gel from Wal-Mart Amazon, and possibly craft stores like Michael's in bulk form much cheaper and it can be rejuvenated by a few minutes in a warm oven or microwave.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Panacea-Silic...b/24547309

And bulk silica gel sold as cat litter ("silica crystals") is even cheaper.
Well what did you expect?  Why else do you think they're called "molding planes"?

Hey, somebody had to say it.
Wink
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(09-24-2018, 06:51 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Well what did you expect?  Why else do you think they're called "molding planes"?
Wink

I almost did, but I made my joke about dating a #7 already.......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

Big Grin

I was waiting...

Rolleyes

I expected it much earlier.

(Rimshot)

Bah-dum-bump

Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(09-24-2018, 06:51 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Well what did you expect?  Why else do you think they're called "molding planes"?

Wink

.tap.tap.tap -- this thing on?

Don't forget to try the veal.  He'll be here all week.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin

Wink

It's about time!
A wipe with bleach (even diluted) before doing anything else will kill the mold/mildew. Plain bleach, tub and shower cleaner, etc. Then you can do all your preservative things.

(09-25-2018, 08:39 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: A wipe with bleach (even diluted) before doing anything else will kill the mold/mildew. Plain bleach, tub and shower cleaner, etc. Then you can do all your preservative things.

I'll give em a look in a couple days, before I apply the wax.  If they still have a touch of mold, Clorox it is... then wax. 
Cool
Jim in Okie
Wink 
I went out this morning after coffee and got started.  No Johnson's Wax, but I had my British Bee's Wax I use on all my boxes, figured that would work.

First, I disassembled all the planes and put them at the top edge of the bench and waxed the first.  

Then waxed the second while the first dried.  Then buffed the first and waxed the third while the second dried.  Repeat.... 

Taking my time and insuring a good coat on each plane body took about an hour.  Should be good for a while.
Jim in Okie