Flooring for a utility room ceiling??
Wifey likes wood, too. We are preparing to remodel the utility/laundry room, about 400 sqft. We don't want to drywall, as we need access to the ceiling area occasionally for wiring, etc. Not a fan of accoustic tiles. There are several spots with lower pipes, etc to work around.
It occurred to her that using inexpensive wood flooring could work. A few panels could be made removeable for access to wiring. It'd easy to work around the lower pipes.
Honestly, I kind of like the idea. Soundwise, it wouldn't be a quiet option, but probably not much worse than drywall. We could stain or finish it.

Anyone try this? Any drawbacks I may not be thinking about??

Thanks in advance,
Gregory of IHaveAGreatWife Forest.

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(09-24-2018, 04:55 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: Wifey likes wood, too. We are preparing to remodel the utility/laundry room, about 400 sqft. We don't want to drywall, as we need access to the ceiling area occasionally for wiring, etc. Not a fan of accoustic tiles. There are several spots with lower pipes, etc to work around.
It occurred to her that using inexpensive wood flooring could work. A few panels could be made removeable for access to wiring. It'd easy to work around the lower pipes.
Honestly, I kind of like the idea. Soundwise, it wouldn't be a quiet option, but probably not much worse than drywall. We could stain or finish it.

Thanks in advance,

If you're going to do that, why not just use prefinished laminate?  Some of that stuff looks pretty good nowadays.
(09-24-2018, 04:55 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: Wifey likes wood, too. We are preparing to remodel the utility/laundry room, about 400 sqft. We don't want to drywall, as we need access to the ceiling area occasionally for wiring, etc. Not a fan of accoustic tiles. There are several spots with lower pipes, etc to work around.

Thanks in advance,

Try Googling "suspended ceiling wood panels"and click images.    If you are using a suspended grid system be careful of the weight of flooring. Most laminates are heavy.   Will have a nice look.   Roly
What is on the ceiling now? Flooring needs to be nailed to something, normally plywood or OSB. I do like the flooring look. I am using 3/4" circular sawn DF on my barn door for the shop. Sheeting the door (9' x 12') with 1/2" plywood, then gluing and nailing it down.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I think it's a great idea, biggest drawback might be what you mentioned: the noise. Especially in a laundry room.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Thanks in advance,

I like the idea, did something similar on displays at the Art Museum in Philadelphia  a long time ago. As far as sound problem, probably no different than drywall.
You could fur out the ceiling , board insulation then the wood. 
mike
Thanks guys. Right now, I have the ceiling open, just exposed joists. I doubt I'd even need furring strips except to box in the pipes a bit.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I did a ceiling in an exercise room using T&G pine,5/16" thick and 4" wide. Nailed it with a 16 gauge nailer.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/prod...4_1000.jpg
Remember to keep junction boxes accessible.   They are very hard to find later.    Roly
instead of flooring, how about 1 by 6 tongue and groove carsiding?
https://www.menards.com/main/building-ma...353&ipos=3

ive used this on a couple ceilings and it worked great