Refrigerator options
So some here may have read my dilemma I mentioned under off-topic. At any rate we’re starting to talk about getting a new fridge
But the question that comes up in close second to the finish is ice box placement.
Do we get an ice maker and I install a water line that’s not there now?
Do we get a freezer box as on top, on Bottom, or on side by side style?
(That kinda reads riske, but any rate ... what’s the experience out there? Yay or nay on brand, model, and features of these newer modern entrapments?
The
Ray
I think the style questions are mostly personal preference preference. It pays to look at the various styles and decide what what best fits your tastes. But not the ice maker part...I'd say you need to put the water line in and make sure you get an automatic ice maker at the least. On other point: once you decide on a style, don't think you're limited to what's on the floor at the store. Look up the brand/style online, you may find that type comes in other configerations (no water dispenser in the door, or maybe some other features added/eliminated). My choice in brands in generally Samsung, and the style is usually french door. But our current fridge is an LG, mostly due to a much better interior arrangement.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I don't agree about the ice maker.  If you never had one then it is not an issue.  My wife hates them and they are another thing that can go wrong.
The styles, as stated by others above, are personal preference, but here's what we've done for the past two refrigerator purchases.

- Bottom freezer:  Wife is short, and I'm not tall.  Pull out freezer drawer has been a major help since we first got one in 2003.

- Ice maker:  I insist on them.  May sound crazy, and it's my own little "first world problem," but having to crack ice trays and then refill them drives me absolutely bonkers.  The upgrade on this past refrigerator was the "ice through the door" option, which means there's a second ice maker in that side door.  It doesn't have the capacity that the bottom icemaker does, but it sure is nice.  Yes, install the water line.  And do it right, not with one of those needle valve things.

- Doors on the upper:  We went with the double door model for the main fridge compartment.  Although the doors swing open to about 135 degrees, the doors aren't as wide as a single door model, so it doesn't block the pathway when they're open.  Each of those doors can open independently.  

Good luck.
(09-26-2018, 06:04 AM)WxMan Wrote: The styles, as stated by others above, are personal preference, but here's what we've done for the past two refrigerator purchases.

- Bottom freezer:  Wife is short, and I'm not tall.  Pull out freezer drawer has been a major help since we first got one in 2003.

- Ice maker:  I insist on them.  May sound crazy, and it's my own little "first world problem," but having to crack ice trays and then refill them drives me absolutely bonkers.  The upgrade on this past refrigerator was the "ice through the door" option, which means there's a second ice maker in that side door.  It doesn't have the capacity that the bottom icemaker does, but it sure is nice.  Yes, install the water line.  And do it right, not with one of those needle valve things.

- Doors on the upper:  We went with the double door model for the main fridge compartment.  Although the doors swing open to about 135 degrees, the doors aren't as wide as a single door model, so it doesn't block the pathway when they're open.  Each of those doors can open independently.  

Good luck.

This is the same style box as we have.  It is a GE Profile model.  Ours is several years old and was made in the USA.   Refrigerators also come in different depths, make sure it works for you.  Roly
We have had an LG for a little over 10 years now. The only repair we've made is to the ice maker. To me an ice maker is an essential. We go through a lot of ice. Having ice already made and waiting is very convenient. Our freezer is on the bottom which seems to work well. The only change I'd make is to have a model with the water/ice supply in the door.
My wife was insistent on an ice maker.  We ended up ordering one that had it both through the door and an extra one in the drawer below.  My argument against that was the loss of freezer space with that extra ice maker.  But we can turn it off and have the room that the ice would have filled. I could care less if it has an ice maker. Not that hard to fill trays. Frankly, I could care less if those got filled as I just don't use much ice.

We agree with each other that side by sides feel very space inefficient....but people that have always had them seem to prefer them.

We are getting rid of an old top mount freezer (with ice/water through the door - everybody we ask says there is no such thing...) and going to french door with pull out freezer drawer.  Not many Top mount freezer models are over 25 cubic feet. My wife's sister has a french door fridge and we have been over there enough to use it that we think we'll like it.

We eliminated Samsung and Frigidaire pretty quickly based on quality reviews.  LG wasn't far behind.  LG and Samsung certainly have better bells and whistles than anything else out there.  We narrowed it down to GE and Whirlpool (or one of the other brands made in the WP factories like Maytag, KitchenAid - Jenn Air if you want to spend more...).  Whirlpool was our final decision even though the wife liked a GE color better.  There were more positive quality reviews/less complaints.  Also, GE appliance division is now owned by Haier - I'd rather see how that plays out for several years before counting on continued quality.

Here is the one we have ordered (don't have it yet...so can't personally review - and we paid a lot less than what it is showing now!):  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-27.../305470672
(09-26-2018, 06:04 AM)WxMan Wrote: ......  Yes, install the water line.  And do it right, not with one of those needle valve things.

Started a new thread asking what that looks like:
 https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7342714
Thank you for the replies to all.
The interesting thing I found is that I can get a refrigerator that is smaller than the one I have now, but has 2 more cubic feet of space inside.
That's getting to be like a Tardis!
Ray
The wife likes side by side, I don't really care- a upper/lower fridge would be fine for me. My biggest complaint would be the ice maker. It takes up a huge amount of space in the freezer and I don't use much ice, I just drink water from the bottle room temperature or I may keep a few bottles in the fridge. That's all moot now since the ice maker quit working 3 years ago and I decided not to repair it using another new cheap junk soon to fail part, now we just use a couple of ice trays- I'm happy with that- the cold water tap thing still works, but I never use that either, in fact, I should turn the water off and not risk getting my kitchen floor flooded and ruined again.

The more bells you buy, the more bells you must fix.