Tool cabinet french cleat question...
(09-26-2018, 10:43 AM)titanxt Wrote: Hello fellow Woodnetters! I hope your day is going well for you.

I am hanging a heavy tool cabinet on the wall using a french cleat. Due to the weight of the cabinet and tools, I want to make sure that I build the cleat with some extra beef. I am planning on using some small, recessed lag bolts to attach the cleat to the cabinet. My question is how deep to make the cleat. Is 2" enough? 3" possibly? What else do I need to keep in mind to keep this thing from becoming gravity's next victim?

Thank you!  Andy

Andy, Simon has the correct solution. 3" wide plywood with a 45° angle on each edge will do the trick. This will probably last longer than the cabinet itself. 
Two  2-1/2" deck screws and a bead of subfloor adhesive or PL adhesive to install. I have used the metal strips but do not know how much weight they will carry, maybe a search will help. 
mike
Cut a 1/8" flat at the ends of cleat and slat. Keeps the edges from breaking and interfering with hanging the cabinet.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Andy, did I picked up you intend to hang the cabinet "on peg board"?  I would not be comfortable do that with my cabinets which are on French cleats.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(10-03-2018, 08:33 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Andy, did I picked up you intend to hang the cabinet "on peg board"?  I would not be comfortable do that with my cabinets which are on French cleats.

Andy posted.........

The cleat system I have is at the top of some pegboard. The cabinet will rest flush against the peg board as it is held out by spacers to keep enough space for the peg board accessories.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Andy, did I picked up you intend to hang the cabinet "on peg board"?  I would not be comfortable do that with my cabinets which are on French cleats.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I know this post is a month old, but I haven't been here for a while. I have a very heavy cabinet that is full of cans of paint among other things. I have it hanging on 2 3" wide French cleats. One towards the top and one near the bottom. It's been hanging there for probably 10 years with no movement.
If women don't find you handsome, at least let 'em find you handy!
Not sure about your design, but I make cabinets with the back set in a Dado and 1/2” thick cleats at top and bottom. I make the top cleat a French cleat so it is not only connected to the cabinet sides, but also screwed through into the cabinet top. The width is typically 2-3” wide but that is not really critical. The French cleat being part of the cabinet pretty much insures no issue with hanging.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.