18v. Gen 5 Rigid 7¼" circular saw
I just got my new Rigid battery powered circular saw.  I had to order it on line as none of the local  stores carried it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Vo.../206947568

It seems nicely made and cost effective:  $120.00 for the saw and $99.00 for two large capacity batteries.  

It cuts well.  I made 14 cross cuts on 2" x 8" pressure treated lumber and still had juice left.  

Note:  There is no indication when the battery is low.  It just stops cutting.  So two batteries are definitely required.

One major gripe, and it is probably because of the lawyers:  There is a thumb safety that has to be pressed before pulling the trigger (kinda like a 1911 Colt 45).  I find it annoying to remember to press that button and awkward to press too.  

Nice:  The on-board Allen key holder (and key).  

No case or bag however.  A bag would be nice.  I will try Harbor Freight.  

In summary:  A nice saw, not too heavy even with the over-sized batteries.  I still have my corded Milwaukee, but it is seeing much less use.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-26-2018, 12:42 PM)Cooler Wrote: I just got my new Rigid battery powered circular saw.  I had to order it on line as none of the local  stores carried it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Vo.../206947568

It seems nicely made and cost effective:  $120.00 for the saw and $99.00 for two large capacity batteries.  

It cuts well.  I made 14 cross cuts on 2" x 8" pressure treated lumber and still had juice left.  

Note:  There is no indication when the battery is low.  It just stops cutting.  So two batteries are definitely required.

One major gripe, and it is probably because of the lawyers:  There is a thumb safety that has to be pressed before pulling the trigger (kinda like a 1911 Colt 45).  I find it annoying to remember to press that button and awkward to press too.  

Nice:  The on-board Allen key holder (and key).  

No case or bag however.  A bag would be nice.  I will try Harbor Freight.  

In summary:  A nice saw, not too heavy even with the over-sized batteries.  I still have my corded Milwaukee, but it is seeing much less use.

Arn't there about 4 lights on the front of the battery that show the charge  ?   May be hard to see on the saw.   Roly
(09-26-2018, 01:38 PM)Roly Wrote: Arn't there about 4 lights on the front of the battery that show the charge  ?   May be hard to see on the saw.   Roly

I never even looked.  I will check tonight.  

My Rigid drill is the same.  I will check on that too.
(09-26-2018, 03:16 PM)Cooler Wrote: I never even looked.  I will check tonight.  

My Rigid drill is the same.  I will check on that too.

On mine press the orange button next to the lights.   Roly
(09-26-2018, 04:05 PM)Roly Wrote: On mine press the orange button next to the lights.   Roly

Thanks.

Do you find the thumb safety annoying?  Maybe I'll get used to is.
(09-27-2018, 08:04 AM)Cooler Wrote: Thanks.

Do you find the thumb safety annoying?  Maybe I'll get used to is.

I don't have that model saw but yes the thumb safety is annoying but I understand the need for people not used to a commercial  type saw.   Roly
I recall an instance when a small boy picked up a circular saw when the carpenter set it down and turned away. The safety switch prevented any bloodshed. In this case it was good that the safety switch was awkward.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Did the circular saw the small boy picked up not have a functioning blade guard?

Blade is on the wrong side of the saw. Works good for left handed folks.
I agree the safety is awkward. And I don't use it enough to really get used to it. But man I've come to appreciate cordless tools more these days. Wrapping up extension cords gets old fast! I used it to cut a bunch of Trex to length at my buddy's place this spring, and I got a plywood blade for it for breaking down sheets.
Benny

IMO, the Rigid portables are very underrated. They are nice tools and have served me well over the years. I especially like the fact that I can use the LiOn batteries in the older NiMH tools. FWIW, Rigid and Milwaukee are owned by the same company.