Zonolite attic insulation/house selling question
(09-26-2018, 03:40 PM)ed kerns Wrote: Thanks John, From my (limited) understanding, the barium is a marker not for asbestos, but for Zonolite brand vermiculite. Specifically for the stuff mined in Libby Montana, in which the contamination occurred.
That's interesting.  I don't recall Ba being present in Libby vermiculite or the asbestos present in it, and we used hundreds of tons of it.  Libby vermiculite does have a different chemical composition than other mines, however, and detailed analysis can prove whether or not a particular sample came from the Libby mine.   
John
(09-26-2018, 06:42 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That's interesting.  I don't recall Ba being present in Libby vermiculite or the asbestos present in it, and we used hundreds of tons of it.  Libby vermiculite does have a different chemical composition than other mines, however, and detailed analysis can prove whether or not a particular sample came from the Libby mine.   
John

This is copied from the email received from the Zonolite trust-

You submitted a vermiculite sample for analysis to see if you qualify for reimbursement from the Zonolite Attic Insulation Trust (www.zaitrust.com/). As with all samples, it was analyzed for barium content to determine if it was consistent with vermiculite mined in Libby, MT. IT WAS NOT ANALYZED FOR THE PRESENCE OR ABSENCE OF ASBESTOS.  Your sample came back CONSISTENT, suggesting that the vermiculite was mined in Libby, MT and is therefore Zonolite Attic Insulation.  Your claim is now considered to meet the product identification requirements of the Trust Distribution Procedures (“TDP”).
(09-26-2018, 02:23 PM)ed kerns Wrote: I've considered this. I'm not sure if the mortgage lender will come through without the work being already done. My realtor thinks not, but I'm exploring the option.

Generally only if it's an FHA loan.

Shop around for mitigation prices.

Also... was it tested?

A home inspector can only say "Suspected" asbestos without testing. Asbestos can look like other products.

Edit... just read the above post. Should still be tested for Asbestos
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-27-2018, 05:10 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Generally only if it's an FHA loan.

Shop around for mitigation prices.

Also... was it tested?

A home inspector can only say "Suspected" asbestos without testing. Asbestos can look like other products.

Edit... just read the above post. Should still be tested for Asbestos

I agree.
Was a GM of a remediation company that did this kind of work for many years. Your problem is that testing really does you no good. Some parts might test positive while others might not. Depends in part on what mine and even in some cases what layer was being mined at the time, therfore it is usually assumed that some part might be positive and all must be removed. Not sure what state you live in, but in Wisconsin you must now disclose to any prospective buyer the possible problem. As far as I know all mortgage institutions will now demand it is removed as well as a clearance test by an environmental hygenist. Buyer really has nothing to say about it unless paying cash and not caring. Not likely to happen because it probably would come back and bite them when they go to sell some day. Sorry I can't give you any better news. Good Luck
(09-26-2018, 10:52 PM)ed kerns Wrote: This is copied from the email received from the Zonolite trust-

You submitted a vermiculite sample for analysis to see if you qualify for reimbursement from the Zonolite Attic Insulation Trust (www.zaitrust.com/). As with all samples, it was analyzed for barium content to determine if it was consistent with vermiculite mined in Libby, MT. IT WAS NOT ANALYZED FOR THE PRESENCE OR ABSENCE OF ASBESTOS.  Your sample came back CONSISTENT, suggesting that the vermiculite was mined in Libby, MT and is therefore Zonolite Attic Insulation.  Your claim is now considered to meet the product identification requirements of the Trust Distribution Procedures (“TDP”).

Like I said, that's curious.  Here's a document from WR Grace showing the chemical composition of several specimens of Libby vermiculite, which look consistent with what I remember.  

Libby Vermiculite

But I guess you have to go with what the Trust says and make your decision based on that.  

John
(09-27-2018, 12:26 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Was a GM of a remediation company that did this kind of work for many years. Your problem is that testing really does you no good. Some parts might test positive while others might not. Depends in part on what mine and even in some cases what layer was being mined at the time, therfore it is usually assumed that some part might be positive and all must be removed. Not sure what state you live in, but in Wisconsin you must now disclose to any prospective buyer  the possible problem. As far as I know all mortgage institutions will now demand it is removed as well as a clearance test by an environmental hygenist. Buyer really has nothing to say about it unless paying cash and not caring. Not likely to happen because it probably would come back and bite them when they go to sell some day. Sorry I can't give you any better news. Good Luck

Thanks for the insight. This is pretty much what I've been hearing from others in the remediation business.
I still highly suggest you shop around if you intend to remove it. I inspected a home this summer with mold in the attic. That's usually where I find it. It was on the rafters and in the insulation. They had quotes from $3500 to $8000. All were certified mold remediation companies. They went with the $3500 and they did an acceptable job including installing new blown in cellulose r-38. The buyer paid for ridge and soffit vents at $2500.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-27-2018, 06:18 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I still highly suggest you shop around if you intend to remove it. I inspected a home this summer with mold in the attic. That's usually where I find it. It was on the rafters and in the insulation. They had quotes from $3500 to $8000. All were certified mold remediation companies. They went with the $3500 and they did an acceptable job including installing new blown in cellulose r-38. The buyer paid for ridge and soffit vents at $2500.

Absolutely I will shop around before hiring a remediation company. I'm in a small town, so there aren't many local options. I've called the 3 within 50 miles of me and each 'ball parked' the job at $10 or $11 a square foot (surface area). I visited the attic today just to see what I was dealing with and the Zonolite only appears to be 2 to 3" deep, but is well covered by blown in, so the depth may vary throughout the attic. Short of opening up the ceiling this stuff would have never seen the light of day again.
(06-17-2021, 01:27 PM)Jessatso Wrote: Hey, guys. Do you think it is more profitable to build a house or buy it?

SPAMMER......

BAM
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]