Veritas Shooting Board
I received my shooting board today from Lee Valley.  I'm not sure what to think - there are two boards screwed together but the top board is bigger and it looks like a poor job flushing one board to the other.  (And the chute over hangs the boards by a very small amount.)  Also, the fence has slop so it doesn't just lock down into a distinct position.  On top of all this the box it came in had a label that read "Opened for inspection by manufacturing".

I'm spoiled as all of my Veritas tools have always had perfect fit and finish.  I'll call them tomorrow and I know they will take care of it.  When I had a small problem with a router plane Rob responded personally and had a person in development follow up with me.  They have the best service bar none!  I'm just wondering if anyone had a similar problem.

Lonnie
Any pictures?

Simon
(09-26-2018, 08:27 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Also, the fence has slop so it doesn't just lock down into a distinct position.  

I can't speak to the board itself, but the fence will have slop if the mounting holes are not precisely located, or if the threaded insert for the locking handle is not really, really close to vertical, so it sounds like a manufacturing issue of the board, as opposed to the fence, to me.  It happens, and LV will make it right, I am certain of that. I installed the fence on my old board and paid a whole lot of attention to the hole drilling and the threaded insert "insertion".
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Not flush in what way? Length? Width? Surface? And when you say the chute overhangs the boards, same question? In length? Width? As far as the fence detents being loose, did you follow the procedure in the instructions to tighten the plunger? If the instructions weren't included, you can download them from the LV website.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
My experience was not at all similar: it worked like a champ (although my box did say opened for inspection, which is a good thing).
Its not a space shuttle: its a shooting board that, at least for me, worked flawlessly out of the box, with their competitors (LN) shooting plane.

(09-26-2018, 08:27 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: I received my shooting board today from Lee Valley.  I'm not sure what to think - there are two boards screwed together but the top board is bigger and it looks like a poor job flushing one board to the other.  (And the chute over hangs the boards by a very small amount.)  Also, the fence has slop so it doesn't just lock down into a distinct position.  On top of all this the box it came in had a label that read "Opened for inspection by manufacturing".

I'm spoiled as all of my Veritas tools have always had perfect fit and finish.  I'll call them tomorrow and I know they will take care of it.  When I had a small problem with a router plane Rob responded personally and had a person in development follow up with me.  They have the best service bar none!  I'm just wondering if anyone had a similar problem.

Lonnie
I finally got some time tonight to check things over.  A couple of things I found:

The bolt that the fence pivots around was loose.  If I tightened it enough so it wouldn't come loose it was too tight to rotate.  If I left it loose enough to rotate the fence it immediately comes loose.  The difference between and tight and loose is about 5 degrees.  And, yes I know, I could put some Loc-tite on it.

The adjusting screw in the detent couldn't be adjusted.  It would rotate less than one turn.  I finally used some real force and got it to come out.  It was clear some type of locking agent had been applied.  You could easily see where the drop had been applied.

The fence seems to lock into position well at every detent position except the 'home' position.  In the 'home' position there is enough play for the fence to be out of square.  Give it a push in the right direction and it goes square.

I'm going to call Lee Valley tomorrow and exchange it.  I know it won't be a problem.  I just wanted to post and give an update.  I'm confident the new one will work right out of the box.

Lonnie
(09-27-2018, 07:39 PM)Mr EddieI finally got some time tonight to check things over.  A couple of things I found: Wrote: The bolt that the fence pivots around was loose.  If I tightened it enough so it wouldn't come loose it was too tight to rotate.  If I left it loose enough to rotate the fence it immediately comes loose.  The difference between and tight and loose is about 5 degrees.  And, yes I know, I could put some Loc-tite on it.
Lonnie

From putting one together, that tells me that the insert (which is not a screw in, but epoxied) for the pivot screw is not seated in the board properly, likely too high.  They will take care of it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-27-2018, 08:00 PM)Admiral Wrote: From putting one together, that tells me that the insert (which is not a screw in, but epoxied) for the pivot screw is not seated in the board properly, likely too high.  They will take care of it.

I'm betting they had more than a few on back order.  Manufacturing is never a 100 per cent game but I've always been impressed with LV quality and consistency.  Looking forward to my replacement.  Maybe I should look thru the catalog and add to my order . . . .
(09-27-2018, 08:14 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote:   Maybe I should look thru the catalog and add to my order . . . .

Ha! That's WHY they sent you a shooting board that needs to be returned!
Laugh 

Simon
(09-27-2018, 08:32 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Ha! That's WHY they sent you a shooting board that needs to be returned!
Laugh 

Simon

There was an issue on mine with the detent knob not locking down.  A new one was sent, with an adjusting screw, and it worked fine.  I'd call and confer with them.  They have never let me down.