Veritas Shooting Board
My LV shooting board arrived yesterday after having returned just the fence and deciding to get the entire pre-made unit. I had been told that the item was on backorder until Oct. 19 so I assume that this might have been a return because the box also had the “Opened for inspection” label. No matter, it seemed in excellent condition. First thing I adjusted the track to accommodate my LV shooting plane, moved the auxiliary fence into position and then checked the fence with a square against the plane. No further adjustments seemed necessary so I’m happy. I will make sure all the mounting screws are tight.

I had made the original purchase of the fence alone during the last free shipping period and was happy that Lee Valley honored that aspect of the transaction when sending the full unit. Had I decided to build my own shooting board I still would have purchased the track for $50 and then would have had to buy the plywood for the board parts. For just 40 bucks extra I got it pre-made.
(09-28-2018, 10:06 AM)Dakotapix Wrote: For just 40 bucks extra I got it pre-made.

Unless one is outfitting an existing shooting board with the new fence, there is no way one can beat the vendor's price by buying just the fence and then making a complete shooting board oneself. Or unless one makes only a few dollars an hour in wages.

The $40 is subsidized by mass production and the sale proceeds of the fence.

Of course, if you enjoy building from scratch and value for money is not a factor, the story is different.

Simon
I spoke with Lee Valley this morning and they are sending a new shooting board on Monday.  I am always impressed with their customer service - Top Notch!

Lonnie