DT Saw Display Case
(10-02-2018, 01:15 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Which do you prefer, and why?

Have you sharpened any?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tough question. For tails, where I seem to have more success with full plate saws (less likely to steer off course) I would say
any of the LN .020 saws, or the Bad Axes (the Stiletto for gang cuts is great) but really most of the saws will do a fine job in this respect. For the pins, I prefer thin plate for precise starting on my line, speed, and perfect tracking, e.g., the Two Lawyers Toolworks Ultimate DT saw (lets call it the BMW Alpina B6), cuts like a hot knife through Vegemite! I am also stuck on the LN .015 plate: very easy to start on a line and tracks very well. I've had one or two sharpened by LN, but for the most part, given the low volume nature of my hobby shop, I am a long way off from needing sharpening at this point. I don't sharpen by the way (if that is what you meant), so they either go back to the mfg. (LN, Bad Axe, etc) or two Matt Cianci in RI.
Interesting Philip. And thanks for answering.

My own preference is the opposite - I would rather use a thinner plate, or finer teeth - for the tails, since these are usually cut fine, and in softer wood. A coarser tooth, or wider plate, would leave a broader triangle. The pins are cut into harder wood, if we are talking about a drawer front, and a coarser tooth makes this easier.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(09-30-2018, 06:39 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: No plastic saws allowed
Winkgrin

I wondered where the Veritas saws were....
I like your case and I'm slightly envious of your collection.  I wonder how proficient you can become with such a large collection, though.  I find it's easier to stick to only one saw for a particular task (which you allude to when answering Derek's question).  For me, switching saws too often sort of regenerates the learning curve and either affects quality or efficiency or both.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-03-2018, 07:59 AM)AHill Wrote: I like your case and I'm slightly envious of your collection.  I wonder how proficient you can become with such a large collection, though.  I find it's easier to stick to only one saw for a particular task (which you allude to when answering Derek's question).  For me, switching saws too often sort of regenerates the learning curve and either affects quality or efficiency or both.

Seems for the past decade or so, my wife picks handtools to buy me. Hence, I have a large number of chisels, planes and saws. Of the saws, it seems dovetail saws show up most often. I'm not going to get into mentioning names other than the two I use: the LN tapered thin plate and the Tools for Working Wood DT saw. I don't differentiate between tails or pins, but when I start sawing, often times I'll try one of the other saws and invariably, I put it down and reach for one of the two mentioned, with which one determined more by the thickness and species of the material (none of my lumber strays from cherry, walnut, poplar and occasionally white oak).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Having the ability to test drive various DT saws has been educational and enjoyable, but its not absolutely necessary to be a good DT sawyer or good woodworker. I suspect that any functional saw, WELL SHARPENED, will get you where you need to go. For those on a budget, you simply can't go wrong with the LN DT saw. As I said, the TLTW saw is outstanding, for significantly more $$. For most folks, picking one or two quality saws and learning how to use them well, is probably the right choice.
Very proud that one of our saws hang ther with all the famous ones. BTW there a few more dovetailsaws in that cabinet than I own.

Cheers
Pedder
Pedder: The honor goes to those other saws sharing the same cabinet with your outstanding saw! So you too have a saw "problem": what is your favorite non-TLTW saw? Phil

Quote:
(10-07-2018, 06:00 AM)Pedder Wrote: Very proud that one of our saws hang ther with all the famous ones. BTW there a few more dovetailsaws in that cabinet than I own.

Cheers
Pedder
I also see someone with a saw problem.
Smile
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Hi Phil

I just have about 25 saws (most of my own making and old saws) in my cabinet.
(Wich is an 30 year old IKEA Kitchen Cabinet.)

Right now the personal favorite is My pollywog saw. I think because it's complete my child.
And my Greyhound small Panel saw.

Tested a few modern saw and never find a bad made one.
From all the cnc-ed saws I like Gramercy dovetail the most.
It was suprisingly light and fast and taught me alot

The only non cnc-ed saw I may have tested was a Wenzloff and it was a dream.
AND a Greyhound Saw. That is a new english maker wich learns really fast and makes wonderfull saw.

But I didn't had the chance to test a
Skelton nor a
Ron Bontz nor a
Blackburn Nor a
Bearkat nor a
Lunn or a
Medaillon Saw.

Wow the list is long and gets longer every few month.
So I'm not quaified to give any opinion about the modern maker.

Cheers
Pedder