How to square up Japanese chisel
Oops. I sharpen/hone my chisels freehand on water stones. I guess I have my tendencies -- I got one of them off square by a couple degrees, which is a lot. Any suggestions for how to bring it back? I do have a LV honing guide (rarely use it, but have it) if that would help.

Thanks in advance.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(09-29-2018, 07:53 PM)Aram Wrote: Oops. I sharpen/hone my chisels freehand on water stones. I guess I have my tendencies -- I got one of them off square by a couple degrees, which is a lot. Any suggestions for how to bring it back? I do have a LV honing guide (rarely use it, but have it) if that would help.

Thanks in advance.
That would do it.  Otherwise, you could buy a Tormek....  
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-29-2018, 08:12 PM)Admiral Wrote: That would do it.  Otherwise, you could buy a Tormek....  
Laugh

Sure. Do they make them hand-cranked?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Use your honing guide on 120 grit sandpaper. Trizact is long lasting. Make the run about 1m (or as long as you can).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Something to keep in mind, the LV honing guide is not going to magically square the edge. You will have to bias your sharping to the high side. Which comes to my suggestion, just bias your sharping each time you sharpen, eventually it will square up.
(09-29-2018, 10:30 PM)knockknock Wrote: Something to keep in mind, the LV honing guide is not going to magically square the edge. You will have to bias your sharping to the high side. Which comes to my suggestion, just bias your sharping each time you sharpen, eventually it will square up.

Thanks. Yeah, that's probably a good way to go.
Best,
Aram, always learning