Which diamond stone do you use ?
Yeah, that’s what I meant. I know they’re used for flattening water stones. Apparently they hold up okay for that? I wouldn’t know.

As to flattening steel surfaces (blade backs, plane soles, etc.) you get better results starting with a higher grit sandpaper and working up through the grits. You can get a whole box of Klingspor sandpaper for a fraction of the cost of a diamond stone.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I also misread Steve's reply. I read it as platen and not paton.  And it is the flat table on big metal working machines. The only sand paper I buy is the sticky stuff that comes in a 10 yard roll. I stick it on my jointer surface and that is the way I flatten my water stones.  Usually starting with 100 grit if the stone is in bad shape and then 220. It works great if the stone is dry. If it is wet I use a heat gun to dry the bed when finished. And then I re- wax my table. One can never wax their saw and jointer tables enough.

Lately I have been watching some u-tube videos on sharpening and they tend to use a wet diamond plate to flatten the stones while using them.  I think a diamond plate could save a lot of sandpaper and time and effort. I am going to build a sharpening cart as soon as I finish my current project so I am quite interested in reading everything about what people have to say about the diamond stones.

Tom
Uh-oh, .... this sounds like the thread is descending  into the illegal, non approved endless mines of stones, metal, and process. And, far more fun to read and comment on! Time to shanghai the thread? Yah! Carry on! 
Big Grin

The kernels are a-poppin.....
Cool
Laugh
Thank you for all the replies. I learned that DMT and Atoma diamond stones are well liked by folks who are serious about sharpening.
(10-06-2018, 04:26 PM)JSpill Wrote: Thank you for all the replies. I learned that DMT and Atoma diamond stones are well liked by folks who are serious about sharpening.

Late to the party, here.  I don’t use a stone; instead, I use a cast iron plate, actually two, and 15, 3 and 1 micron diamond pastes.  Much cheaper.  I got the cast iron for free and the diamond pastes from a lapidary supply house for maybe $15.
(10-09-2018, 08:43 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: Late to the party, here.  I don’t use a stone; instead, I use a cast iron plate, actually two, and 15, 3 and 1 micron diamond pastes.  Much cheaper.  I got the cast iron for free and the diamond pastes from a lapidary supply house for maybe $15.

Well.... when my double sided DMT stone wore out - which took awhile - I bought several grits of paste and use them on the DMT, it works like it was new....
Skip