Do I have a problem with conflicting finishes?
Will cured Arm-R-Seal urethane react with cured Krylon 1303 clear acrylic finish. Krylon is a solvent based (lacquer, I think) acrylic finish.

I have a project involving a number of objects painted with acrylics paints. The objects will be stored in a box finished with a gel stain and 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal. I was going to use the acrylic Krylon 1303 to match the acrylic paints.

I want to use a spray can finish over the acrylic paint because the objects are too detailed to easily brush or wipe on a finish. Should I use clear enamel or clear shellac instead of the Krylon?

(10-03-2018, 09:27 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Will cured Arm-R-Seal urethane react with cured Krylon 1303 clear acrylic finish. Krylon is a solvent based (lacquer, I think) acrylic finish.

I have a project involving a number of objects painted with acrylics paints. The objects will be stored in a box finished with a gel stain and 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal. I was going to use the acrylic Krylon 1303 to match the acrylic paints.

I want to use a spray can finish over the acrylic paint because the objects are too detailed to easily brush or wipe on a finish. Should I use clear enamel or clear shellac instead of the Krylon?

I have no direct knowledge, but I don't think there will be any reaction as long as both finishes are cured.  

John
John,

My apologies. I sent a reply to you yesterday (or thought I did) but must have screwed it up because I don't see it anywhere.

Your reply confirms my own suspicions. I always trust and appreciate your experience and judgment. It has always been spot on whenever I needed an outsider's opinion. Thank you for your help.

-ajh

(10-05-2018, 10:18 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: John,

My apologies. I sent a reply to you yesterday (or thought I did) but must have screwed it up because I don't see it anywhere.

Your reply confirms my own suspicions.  I always trust and appreciate your experience and judgment. It has always been spot on whenever I needed an outsider's opinion. Thank you for your help.

-ajh

No apology necessary.  

I hope my thoughts this time are correct.   

John
You could put down a coat of Sealcoat between finishes.  Sealcoat seems to adhere to all finishes and all finishes seem to adhere to Sealcoat (dewaxed shellac).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-05-2018, 10:18 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: John,

Your reply confirms my own suspicions.  I always trust and appreciate your experience and judgment. It has always been spot on whenever I needed an outsider's opinion. Thank you for your help.

-ajh

John,

Thanks again. Coming down to the bitter end. Just some final spot finishing over gold tone on two pieces. So far so good. Breathing easy now.

-Al (wood2woodknot)