Do you have wood in your shop you can't identify?
I found a board tonight that is totally unsurfaced and I have no idea what it is. I *think* it might be African Mahogany, but I truly don't know. I only say that because the color's approximately correct and I bought some at some point to make some bathroom mirrors. There are others that I am not sure of right now either, but only one of each. 

I know at some point I started labeling the ends of the wood with a Sharpie to help avoid this in the future. Is there a good way to identify species that haven't been surfaced at all without remembering or labeling? Some are easy by smell or appearance, but most aren't.
You may want to check photos of Iroko, also known as African Teak although it's not a Teak wood. It's possible you may some of that. Iroko is fairly heavy and feels somewhat oily.
I bought some rough sawn 5/4 hard Maple last year at my local lumber yard and as I was moving around my wood stash recently I noticed a couple of the boards had Ash written on the sides of them.  The only Ash I've ever purchased was some 8/4.  I guess once I need to use it I'll figure out what it actually is.
It's not a source for rough cut lumber, but the Wood Database can be helpful. Also, Bruce Hoadley's Identifying Wood can be helpful. Most wood is identifiable via end grain.
I've got some exotic cutoffs that John Fry sent me about 8-9 years ago, that I got about half of it marked as to what wood it is. The other half I never marked, and have no clue what it is. I haven't researched it as it's not on the high priority list
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Yes, and I bought them at the same time too.
Didn’t mark some things and I have to look long and compare.
Color deficient vision sucks.
Ray
(10-03-2018, 09:56 PM)FS7 Wrote: I found a board tonight that is totally unsurfaced and I have no idea what it is. I *think* it might be African Mahogany, but I truly don't know. I only say that because the color's approximately correct and I bought some at some point to make some bathroom mirrors. There are others that I am not sure of right now either, but only one of each. 

I know at some point I started labeling the ends of the wood with a Sharpie to help avoid this in the future. Is there a good way to identify species that haven't been surfaced at all without remembering or labeling? Some are easy by smell or appearance, but most aren't.

I have two 2 x 6 x 10'-0" boards that were used for donnage when I bought a skid of Hardiboard siding. When I was done with the siding I went to pick the boards up. They were so heavy I had trouble getting one on my shoulder. Well over 100Lbs. each. Beautiful dark straight grain wood. I think it may have come from Australia as Hardiboard is made there. I still have one 10'-0" board left and about 7'-0" of the other. I have made a mallet, tool handles, and a chess set so far. Sawing with the grain is slow going. Across the grain it burns quickly. When I turned it on the lathe I had to sharpen tools often. Left a highly polished finish with no sanding or even burnishing needed. 
I have not been able to identify this wood.  I broke my camera or I would post a picture.

mike
I have a couple pieces that I was told are used for making musical instruments.  I forgot to mark them, due to memory issues, the name escapes me.  The wood is very dense, and I have had it for a long while. Lol.  Didn't want to make a beautiful box out of it, and have someone down the road facepalm and ask... "Do you know how much that piece of xxxxx was worth?"

Big Grin

Doh, obviously, not. 
Cool
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Built my first handtool cabinet from mystery wood.

Didn't have enough to make the frame for the glass panel door.

Took it to my local sawmill/trim/flooring place...

Bonnie walked up looked in the truck....darn Eddie, thats some pretty elm you got there.

Uh, thanks, have any?

Yup.  
Laugh