Lie Nielsen planes. Last 3 reduced!!
(10-15-2018, 10:35 AM)Admiral Wrote: I just happened to have a Highland Hardware catalog from 2005, and back then, LN made a "Rip Carcass" at 14pt, and a "Coarse Rip Carcass" at 12pt both with an 11 inch long plate.  The spine on this saw is stamped "12" so it is clearly this version of the Coarse Rip Carcass and not some b@stardized refile by Cosman.  

In the 2010 LN catalog, they show a Rip Carcass at 15pt and a Coarse Rip Carcass at 10 pt, with the plate still at 11 inches long.  

LN has changed their lineup of saws over they years; their current 2018 website model is 14pt filed cc, with a 14 inch plate, they seemed to have dropped the rip models (I'm sure they would file to a special order).  

So, sometime between 2005 and 2010 the coarse rip was dropped from 12 to 10pt; and sometime thereafter, they stopped marketing Rip Carcass saws, and lengthened the plate to the current 14 inches, which I actually think improves a cc filed carcass saw, better with dado shoulders and such.

The 2 1/4" depth to the spine back was maintained over the years.

It's fun to keep those old catalogs.......

Thanks guys for clarification.

Chris
Would the 12pt saw be good for handcut dovetails?
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(10-15-2018, 09:25 PM)alanealane Wrote: Would the 12pt saw be good for handcut dovetails?

Pretty sure that's why I bought it, but I'll commit to strong maybe.  Perhaps AHill or Admiral can chime in.
(10-15-2018, 09:25 PM)alanealane Wrote: Would the 12pt saw be good for handcut dovetails?

I am not an expert.

Depends on your material.

The "Chris Schwarz" rule is to have at least 3 teeth in your material while sawing.

Looks like 1/4 inch minimum in this case.
WoodTinker
(10-08-2018, 12:53 PM)mainframe Wrote: The LN 4 Bronze  is SOLD.

The LN 60 1/2 R is SOLD.

Received both today.  Clearly well cared for, well packed.  Sharpened both and put them in their spot in my tool chest.

Thanks!
Good to hear Matt.
Very happy with the chisel plane in case I forgot to mention
Big Grin
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]