Show me your Hammers
This summer I found one of my Great-Grandfather's hammers and put a new handle on it.   That started me on a slope...

Here's my bench stuff now (omitting sledges and hatchets).  From left to right:
- Modern Stanley AntiVibe hammer, does indeed work pretty good!
- Just got here from Grainger... A British joiner's hammer or Warrington hammer, very cool.  You don't see many in the USA.
- My reliable Craftsman ball-peen.
- The 2-lb ball-peen from G-G-Father which I re-handled, modifying an ACE H/W handle.
- A cross-peen hammer which I handled from scratch hickory, probably my favorite of all these for how it feels and swings.
- A reliable rawhide mallet.

How about yours?

Chris
Chris
Ever see a hammer with both a lead face, and a brass one?
Winkgrin
Cool 

Have a few others..

Would need to go to the shop..for the rest of the herd...
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Here are my Hammers ...

[Image: image.jpg]

Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Wink 
(10-10-2018, 04:48 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Here are my Hammers ...

[Image: image.jpg]

Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

I got one of those. Great Hammer!
Smile
(10-09-2018, 05:16 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: This summer I found one of my Great-Grandfather's hammers and put a new handle on it.   That started me on a slope...

- Just got here from Grainger... A British joiner's hammer or Warrington hammer, very cool.  You don't see many in the USA.
- The 2-lb ball-peen from G-G-Father which I re-handled, modifying an ACE H/W handle.
- A cross-peen hammer which I handled from scratch hickory, probably my favorite of all these for how it feels and swings.

How about yours?

Chris
I collect small hammers of all types.......here's a shot of a few of them....I made the one on the right back in the seventies....it's about 6" long overall...click picture to enlarge

[Image: IMG_0448.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-09-2018, 05:16 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: This summer I found one of my Great-Grandfather's hammers and put a new handle on it.   That started me on a slope...

How about yours?

Chris

I see more and more of those rawhide mallets. I have that one, well used, all by me.
Laugh 
My BIL got it from where he worked (Beech Aircraft, Liberal Kansas) and gave it to me, brand new, long ago.
It's been a good mallet. Used, and sometimes abused.

I'll have to drag my other hammers out
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Despite working wood for 25 years, and loving hammers, I never did much with mine and consider myself a beginner with the tool.  I used an antique patternmaker's hammer with a homemade ash handle for many years.  Making old fashioned furniture, the nails I used were mostly small or tiny and easy to drive.  A light hammer worked fine.

Nowadays, I do mostly carpentry as I am building a house. This hammer is like a space ship to me.  Its titanium. I'm not sure I'm buying the equal striking power argument, but I like the handle and I like not lugging around a big hunk of steel. The handle looks shorter in the picture than it is. Its 18" long. Head is 14oz.

The shoulder bag behind my belt is our well stocked first aid kit. On the wall are our Petzl climbing helmets we wear as hard hats. Thought you might like to see something a little different.
(10-17-2018, 01:10 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Despite working wood for 25 years, and loving hammers, I never did much with mine and consider myself a beginner with the tool.  I used an antique patternmaker's hammer with a homemade ash handle for many years.  Making old fashioned furniture, the nails I used were mostly small or tiny and easy to drive.  A light hammer worked fine.

Nowadays, I do mostly carpentry as I am building a house. This hammer is like a space ship to me.  Its titanium. I'm not sure I'm buying the equal striking power argument, but I like the handle and I like not lugging around a big hunk of steel. The handle looks shorter in the picture than it is. Its 18" long.  Head is 14oz.

The shoulder bag behind my belt is our well stocked first aid kit. On the wall are our Petzl climbing helmets we wear as hard hats. Thought you might like to see something a little different.

I had a early titanium hammer also Adam..It was a ripping hammer IIIRC...and it was made by Ruger Arms Co...Had the Ruger name cast right in the side...at the time it was made, I read that Ruger was the only company that could do the intricate casting of titanium necessary, and they made it on a contract basis for another company who's name I have forgotten..I sold it to someone right here on the forum..This was about five years ago but the hammer was a good bit older than that..,I am not sure I buy into the, shall we say the "hype"..but it was definitely lighter in weight..
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

My favorite is a rare claw hammer:

Attached Files Image(s)

I think I know the company you mean. Pretty sure it was the only US manufacturer. Also pretty sure nobody is making them in the US anymore. Mine has a head from China married to an American handle in the USA.

The physics behind the claims of equal power fascinated me. Quick answer; it’s an impulse momentum issue which helped me understand my dead blows. But the physics don’t instantly guarantee a swing that’s twice as fast. Still, it’s a pretty nice hammer. But I’m a little careful with the claw.