Downtime?
There comes a time, in about every shop, when a current project is completed.....and either delivered,  or set up where it will go.    Then you walk back into the shop....
Rolleyes 

Usually there is a bit of "downtime"?   Time between projects?    Maybe time to resharpen things....stash away most of the toys..er...tools?

But,  why is there a feeling of "let down"?   Almost like being "Laid off" from a job?

Brain gets busy, dreaming up the next project....while you are cleaning the shop up.  Wondering about how much wood to get, where to stash it....maybe add a new to you tool to the shop? 

Just wondering...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(10-11-2018, 02:13 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Just wondering...
Winkgrin

Feeling guilty about not being productive?

Best ideas can come to you when you are unproductive! At least, that is how I convince myself that being unproductive is ok (for a few days to a week or so, but not too long).  I try not to do too many projects a year, 4 or 5 a year works for me.

Sometimes, getting the shop a little better organized (cleaning the machines, getting rid of those useless off-cuts, etc.) can be as fruitful and productive as finishing a project.

Simon
Yes, it can be hard to unwind. Do it when you live a frenetic life style and the wrong things can explode.

I'm not sure I saw you do anything for yourself. Maybe, it's time for that. I know better than to suggest you slow down. If money is an issue, sell off extra tools to finance what you need to go where you want. You can't take them with you, you know; a coffin holds only so much. When there are medical complications, pay attention and train. But there I go with the slow down crap.
Down time in my shop is what I call organization/fun time most times.
There's always that shelf to build/redo. That machine to service. That stash of boxes that came from a local farm sale that needs going through..........those 2 small things that are laying there broke that the wife brought out for me to fix.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-11-2018, 02:13 PM)bandit571 Wrote: There comes a time, in about every shop, when a current project is completed.....and either delivered,  or set up where it will go.    Then you walk back into the shop....
Rolleyes 

Usually there is a bit of "downtime"?   Time between projects?    Maybe time to resharpen things....stash away most of the toys..er...tools?

But,  why is there a feeling of "let down"?   Almost like being "Laid off" from a job?

Brain gets busy, dreaming up the next project....while you are cleaning the shop up.  Wondering about how much wood to get, where to stash it....maybe add a new to you tool to the shop? 

Just wondering...
Winkgrin

I like to keep my shop as clean as possible, so I almost always go into shop deep clean mode when I've finished a piece. I'm pretty good about maintaining order, putting tools away, and keeping the floor swept while in progress, but I like to pull the benches out, give everything a good sweep, knock down any dust or cobwebs, properly sharpen the tools that I've used, etc. Very often, while working on something, I write down notes of little ideas for the shop, a more efficient way to do a task, a better way to organize, little jokes, philosophy, etc.. Sometimes these notes make sense and are actionable when I have down time, other times the context is lost and they are pretty much meaningless. I do hang on to them either way, in fact my second book was derived from those notes from the last 10 years or so.

Having just finished a clock project for PWM, I immediately went into deep clean mode and am in the process of organizing and upgrading my much-ignored shop loft space. It will become my turning studio once the insulation is finished, with my lathes, tools, etc. up there and out of the way of my main bench area.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

Hmmm..joinery planes....disassembled, and placed into their storage boxes.     WR #62....iron has been sharpened, rust spots from fingerprints cleaned off, and oiled the sides.  

Drills put away.   Inventory of the eggbeater drills showed a total of 11....counting the Millers Falls Buck Rogers one....gotta quit buying them things, bad as those Yankee screwdrivers..

Have a scrap of 1 x 12 Pine maybe 30" long.   Yard sale finds were a stack of Oak 1 x 6 x 3' and a 1 x 12 x 3'    There is a couple 1/2" thick 1 x6s in the stack...will be looking for ideas to use them up on...

Brought home a lot of tools from Mom's house.....she is in an Assisted Living House now.....her house has been sold ( to pay the bills) and the "Kids" were able to sort through the house for items they wanted....One of the treasures was an 8" tablesaw.....May find some use in the shop...

May take a week or so off from the shop.....to recharge me.
(10-11-2018, 02:13 PM)bandit571 Wrote: There comes a time, in about every shop, when a current project is completed.....and either delivered,  or set up where it will go.    Then you walk back into the shop....
Rolleyes 

Just wondering...
Winkgrin

I've had "let-down" issues you describe. When I've put a lit of time, work and focused attention on a project and the project comes to a conclusion, I feel like all the air is suddenly let out of my balloon - a little depression, kind of what I imagine a woman's port-partum depression is like. I was an attorney and did a lot of trial work before I retired. After each trial, win or lose, I had the same let-down. It always takes me a few days, or sometimes a week or more, to get back on my feet. I believe most of us have experienced this at the end of a long, involved project in which they have invested lots of time, work and energy. Putzing around in the shop helps get back on track.
I have a 40 year backlog of projects, so there is no such thing as downtime. Sometimes I think it would be nice
Well, mine will be short-lived....The Boss has found a picture of the next item she wants built..
Uhoh 

Which means tomorrow I'll go lumber shopping....I do have a bit of Oak sitting around....may just do the project in Oak.
Cool ..and hide any and all paint cans...
Upset

Need to sit down, and draw up a "Plan" of some sort...
Rolleyes
Winkgrin
Perfect time to sharpen all the hand plane blades and chisels, practice dovetails or a new style of joinery, making jigs and fixtures, maintenance machinery, drink beer while watching football, etc.... In no time I'm back at it.