Downtime?
I am currently cleaning up the shop. I have too many hand tools and it is time to let the ones go that do not get used. This is the time to assess which are important, and which are not. I do not have duplicates of planes, other than a few smoothers, block planes and dovetail planes. OK, a few ploughs ... mmmm 
Uhoh  Cleaned up and sold a bunch, including a Stanley #45 and Stanley #112. Time to sharpen bandsaw blades and backsaws, and to flatten the bench. 

The bench has not been flattened since I built it 6 1/2 years ago. The top is European oak and it was pretty flat ... slight hollow down the centre.

I brought out my 36" Dreadnought to re-surface my bench. I built this plane several years ago with a 3" wide Berg blade. It is a monster plane which, although technically intended as a cooper's plane, I added handles so that it may be pushed. It is big and heavy, and the momentum carries it through everything. 

First traversed the top, then planed the length ...

[Image: D1a.jpg]

Here it is with a 24" long Veritas #7.

[Image: D2a.jpg]

This was followed by the Veritas with a toothing blade (taking a very fine shaving, just enough to remove the shine) ...

[Image: D3a.jpg]

One coat of danish oil - to enable spills to be cleaned up.

The result was a dead flat bench in all directions with a roughened, grippy top.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Looks great Derek
Brent

Coming at ya from the Bayou State.

Cool
Well...this project is about done,,
Winkgrin 

Just the finishing part to do.....means I get to sort through the leftovers...see IF there is a small project that can be made....

Once this is up those stairs...Project is over...then the "Down Times" start again...
Sad ....Unlike Mr Sherlock Holmes..I haven't the need for that 7% Solution....
No
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
It's not so much downtime for me as my shop morphs and supports my other interests. I cycle through multiple hobbies and at some are season dependent. Some projects (maybe several?) are put on hold as the woodshop becomes a bike shop, reloading room, DIY staging area, computer lab, etc. I do seem to get more woodworking done during the winter months though, since it's an indoor sport.
I'm between projects right now, and decided to spend some time on big iron equipment maintenance. Haven't sharpened my planer and jointer knives in about 10 years (I'm not too picky about the surfaces, as I smooth with handplanes and scrapers) but the little ridges from small chips in the knives were starting to become bothersome. So I bought a second set of knives for both to install. Started with the 15" planer, cleaned, adjusted, installed the knives, greased the posts, adjusted the belts and changed the gearbox oil. She purrs like a kitten now. Did the same for the DJ20 jointer, but at startup what I thought were loose belts seems like the start of a bearing failure, as there is a squeaky noise at startup and shutdown, so I guess that might be in my future. Next up is the 14" bandsaw.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Bench was flattened, the other day.   Stanley #70 was run around....doesn't bother it IF it finds any nails or other metal....found two small finish nails, could not get them out, so I just nail set to drive them as deep as I could....then the better planes flattened the top of the bench....was looking a bit "naked"....gave it a coat of that Amber Shellac...as it was still out, and a brush was handy...
Rolleyes 

Have put a lot of the toys back where they belong...
Winkgrin 

Then got one brace and a bit back out.   Seems a dog has gotten stuck in one of the dog holes....can't seem to dislodge it, or drive it out...decided to just leave it, and drill another hole..
Cool Brace is a PEXTO 8012, 12" sweep, Samson chuck...

May spend a bit of time, sharpening a few chisels...

Have a Whale Tail Stanley to rehab....just to see how it works...

Haven't even started, yet.   No other projects going on....just something to do.
Here is a thought. The best way to keep the downtime to a minium is not to rush through any part of your project. Yes the temptation is to start and finish it ASAP. If you take 3 months or 4 to complete a fine work, rather than 8 weeks, you will have much reduced downtime AND a better piece.

Take your latest project as an example, unless the photos are deceiving, one of the doors seems to have a twist. I would fix it or even redo the door, thus reducing whatever downtime it is to you.

Simon
Afraid that IS the camera playing tricks on your eyes....there isn't any twist, nor warp....
Ok..monsoons are keeping the shop floor a bit too wet. last couple of days.   Did spend a while watching a bit of youtube....seems there is a site that has at least 200 videos of The  New Yankee Workshop episodes.....

On that Defiance plane rehab.....strange things have been found in it....besides that whale tail lateral lever..

Attached Files Image(s)

Ok..monsoons are keeping the shop floor a bit too wet. last couple of days.   Did spend a while watching a bit of youtube....seems there is a site that has at least 200 videos of The  New Yankee Workshop episodes.....

On that Defiance plane rehab.....strange things have been found in it....besides that whale tail lateral lever.
Rolleyes  

Somehow, I doubt IF that is an OEM Stanley bolt.....might be a bit too long..

I can flatten that roundhead out a bit....grind the other end flush.....I have replaced the lever cap..

With one that does have the spring.   Frog will need a bunch of work..
Rolleyes 

And, I may just do a little rounding over on that way too blocky rear handle.  Hey, I am on a vacation from the shop, ok...I can "putter around" on other things in the shop...

Looks like a Stanley?   Well, it is...a Stanley Defiance 1-1/2" wide socket chisel.....and yes, I do use a strop.