Downtime?
The lever cap that can with this Defiance plane, had a big chip missing, dead center out on the edge that meets the chipbreaker.    Have a spare lever cap... Millers Falls Mohawk-Shelburne.   Going to polish it up, and use it instead of the non-sprung Stanley...

Francken-plane?   Of course it is....I intend to make it  better than that Whale Tailed Defiance plane...Maybe have it as a "Loaner"..
Winkgrin 

Bolt holding the iron to the chipbreaker...
Confused  

I didn't have a spare bolt in the spares box....I turned the roundhead into a flathead.....and even ground the other end down flush..

Don't need this sticking the lever cap in it's backside, eh.

May keep the rehab story here.   While I don't look at a clock while working in the shop...neither do I waste time....I am there to work.

usually, I can bring a plane home by Lunchtime, have it rehabbed by Suppertime, and hard at work that evening.   I'll be a little slower this time around, as i will be doing pictures of the process I use.  Right now, the floor has a creek running across it.   Maybe when things are dried out a bit....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Yea that screw looks to be a stovebolt
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Which means the oEM threads are changed.....even IF I had the correct bolt, it won't fit ...now
Upset 

Worked for a while down in the Dungeon...

More like a Dungeon..now
No 

Decided not to use the rear handle.....didn't really fit the plane....the one spare I have in the shop...needed a little work..
Rolleyes 

As it had a crack going on....Decided to also change the front knob to a taller one.   No longer have the Whale Tail, either...
Winkgrin 

Frog's face is now flattened..
Cool   

Frog rests on three contact points...

Across the front edge, and the two rails on the sides...nothing in the middle. 

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Back of the iron was flattened...
Cool 

Took about....2 minutes. 

Took a ride on the 6" disc sander....iron did have a slight curve to it...I prefer mine straight, so..

Like I said, I don't mess around...32 oz hammer, to "tap" the high spots flat.   Checked the edge for a square edge..

Straight and square to the side.   Set up a jig at 25 degrees...

This is the second stone...first was a Coarse Oil stone, this is a 600 grit medium India....followed up by a 1,000 grit oil stone.   Didn't have any wet-or-dry paper, so this went to the strop.    Checked the chipbreaker...had to fine tune it for a gap-free fit.    Curved end was a bit worn back...same hammer to bring a bit of curve back....then finish with a stone,

Stay tuned...
Ok....next item?   Too much "paint" where I don't need paint to be...

And not enough where it should be.....small wire brush to clear the rails of paint..

I have a smaller one, to get into the nooks and crannies....Once things on the inside were nice and clean ( may paint the needed areas later) I ran the large beltsander for a few minutes...can't really press down to hard,  belt will stall...
sole was ran a while,..

Then both sides of the base..

Then a pair of Visegrips to hold onto the bolts and washers ( hate when they catch, and go airborne..) get cleaned up on the grinder's wire wheel...

Not sure IF I will keep the all steel adjuster wheel....I do have a solid brass one handy...  just waiting on the glue to cure in the rear handle, now.

Need to refinish the handles....re-assemble the plane....IF the floor dries out, I may be able to do a test drive.   If not, I'll do a bit of painting. 

Stay tuned...
Dry floor....paint is dry.    Found a solid rear handle to use...
Cool  

Whale tail is now crimped down into the type 20 style....went with the brass wheel...
Cool  

Same Oak test track from the start of the rehab....then a Pine one..

And, since this IS a smooth plane...

Shavings seem to want to make tight "Moxxon TP" rolls, for some reason.

Have since picked up the wet-or-dry papers....1k to 2.5k grits ( big expense..$4 for the package
Rolleyes ) and may try to polish things up a bit....seems to work nicely enough
Confused
And that my friends, is how some planes achieve the franken plane name.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

And.....what can be done to make one better.    This was a frankenplane to begin with....came to the shop as a freebie....might as well make it into something useful. 

What it looked like on arrival..

Among other "treasures" I brought home....along with a door prize...

Was a very nice weekend...
(10-16-2018, 07:23 AM)ZachDillinger Wrote: I like to keep my shop as clean as possible, so I almost always go into shop deep clean mode when I've finished a piece. I'm pretty good about maintaining order, putting tools away, and keeping the floor swept while in progress, but I like to pull the benches out, give everything a good sweep, knock down any dust or cobwebs, properly sharpen the tools that I've used, etc. Very often, while working on something, I write down notes of little ideas for the shop, a more efficient way to do a task, a better way to organize, little jokes, philosophy, etc.. Sometimes these notes make sense and are actionable when I have down time, other times the context is lost and they are pretty much meaningless. I do hang on to them either way, in fact my second book was derived from those notes from the last 10 years or so.

Having just finished a clock project for PWM, I immediately went into deep clean mode and am in the process of organizing and upgrading my much-ignored shop loft space. It will become my turning studio once the insulation is finished, with my lathes, tools, etc. up there and out of the way of my main bench area.

Studio?  Where do those high fluting words come from.  I guess my shop is now a STUDIO, hi ho hi ho. 
Big Grin   Now I feel soooo big time. 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Bandit you are one busy guy, I wish my father was half as ambitious as you are, maybe it wouldn't have taken me this long to sort of get this woodworking thing going. I wish I even had downtime, mine is usually more exhaustion from work, children and home related maintenance. When I get time for woodworking projects (I'm in the middle of about 4) or just being in my shop in general whether I'm just putting stuff away and cleaning is a small moment of mental clarity for me, I truly do love this hobby.