Steel City Bandsaw Table Trunnions Rebuilt
A while back, I posted here asking about the possibility of replacing the broken trunnions on a 14" Steel City bandsaw I had been given.  Long story short, there were a few generic trunnions available online, but I didn't really want to take the chance of them not fitting.  Plus, I had an inkling of how I could fabricate my own.

One simplification is that I did not need the bandsaw table to be able to tilt.  So I just needed the table to sit solidly on the base.  I decided to use some hard maple blocks, sawed to the right radius, and attach them to the table with angle iron.  Here's the process:

Probably the hardest part was making sure the radius was a match.  I started by trying to trace one of the broken trunnions, but I couldn't get the block close enough to the radius to get an accurate trace.  So I just used the mating surface, like this.  I went ahead and traced out the whole radius, but in reality, only about a half of the radius is in contact with the base. 

I sawed out the radius on my old bandsaw (which I thankfully still have).  If I hadn't had that, I would have resorted to a coping saw.  

I clamped them together and smoothed out the saw marks with a file.  It doesn't need to be especially smooth or pretty, but the trunnions do need to be exactly the same size.  

After drilling through them and counter-boring the tops for the bolt head, they fit nicely onto the base!  The bolt hole is drilled oversize, which provides just a bit of wiggle-room in fitting everything together.  I probably should have also drilled the counter-bore a little bit oversize, too, but this worked. 

I used the old, broken trunnion to figure out how long each piece of angle-iron should be.  I attached the angle-iron to the wooden blocks with screws, and then I drilled out the oversize holes in the angle iron for the bolts that will attach the new trunnions to the underside of the table. 

Finally, I bolted the new trunnions onto the table.  I ended up putting in the bolts loosely, setting the whole thing on the base to get the trunnions positioned correctly (because of the oversize mounting holes, there's a bit of wiggle room), and then snugging down the bolts. 

Now, what you've read is the streamlined version of the process.  I had to make a number of little adjustments here and there, and there were some missteps along the way.  For example, when I went to bolt the trunnions to the bottom of the table, I found that they were just a little bit too wide, and while the mounting bolts fit okay, their washers didn't.  I think I forgot to factor in the thickness of the angle iron on both sides when cutting the blocks to thickness!  So I just use a grinder to take 1/8" off the edge of each washer.  Another funny thing: I accidentally counter-bored the wrong side of the trunnions at first (visible in the picture above).  But it doesn't affect how they mate to the base, so I just left it there.    

But now the table sits nice and secure.  Because the bolt holes are oversized, it is possible to adjust the table by a few degrees in either direction, which is just as well because I needed to use the set-screw to get everything leveled. 

So now the saw us usable again.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Good job. Enjoy your saw.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

Cool  Looks like a great solution
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Cool
Cool

Great solution to the problem.
Great solution! Good on you,

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Excellent... glad it worked out.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Very cool. Now, not only is the saw made of cast iron, steel and granite, its made of wood too...