Wood vanity counter and backsplash
Let’s say you’re installing a new wood vanity countertop and wood backsplash.
How would you attach the backsplash to the wall?
How much gap would you leave between the two? 1/8”?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I'm assuming both pieces have the grain running in the same direction. If so, can you pocket screw the splash from the back, with silicone between the 2 before screwing them together.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(10-13-2018, 06:54 PM)museumguy Wrote: I'm assuming both pieces have the grain running in the same direction. If so, can you pocket screw the splash from the back, with silicone between the 2 before screwing them together.

10-4 on that.

Or, I've used straight silicone caulk and stuck the splash right to the sheetrock.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The vanity is in a corner so the long backsplash runs with the countertop; the side doesn’t.
36” X 24” top

Momma also hasn’t decided how she wants the profiles of top and backsplash to meet.
Gary

You want me to call Her up and get things in gear? That way you can get off the couch and get something constructive done...................
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I added a wood back splash to my butcher block counter top.  

I used 3/4" by 6" maple.  

I ran the maple through the table saw with the material vertical and took an 1/8" x 1½ slice off one side.  This allowed me to bank that edge for alignment and I screwed in from behind.

In retrospect, the 1/8" ledge was unnecessary.  I should have glued and pinned it with my 18 gauge pinner and then added screws from behind.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Momma has decided she wants two sides and a back like an old-time washstand.
The back will have a large ogee style center and probably be about 12” at its peak. Similarly shaped to a bell dome yet not as sharp.
Gary

Ok. Rusted barn tin for panels
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Laugh
No.
It’s going to be Florida Camphor.
The top is already built; just have the backsplash to make.
Gary

(10-13-2018, 06:27 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Let’s say you’re installing a new wood vanity countertop and wood backsplash.
How would you attach the backsplash to the wall?
How much gap would you leave between the two? 1/8”?

Smart clips. Do a search for them. I used them exclusively when I was working. No gap needed, works well .
mike